FILEOPTION options

dylanfinneydylanfinney Posts: 26
edited April 1, 2009 4:56PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hello all, I'm having some trouble with my ERASE_FILES and the threads I've found on it don't suit my needs.

Currently we are backing up directly to a UNC network path instead of using the COPYTO option (I know it's not best practice... but it's the only option for us :shock: ). Anyways, our old backup files are not getting deleted and I assume that it's because the Archive bit is still set on them? Is there an overriding option for this behavior, or will it only ever delete files that have been "archived"?

I cannot find any documentation on the FILEOPTION option 3 and am hoping that it will remove the files directly. Thanks!

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    By default, SQL Backup deletes old files regardless of the archive bit status. It is only when you want to specifically delete files that do not have the archive bit set, that you would use the FILEOPTIONS option.

Does the SQL Backup Agent service startup account have rights to delete files in that folder?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Thanks for the reply. I double checked and the account that the service runs under does have rights to delete from the network location.
  • Sorry for the post! It was because the password had changed that the files weren't deleting! :oops: