Options

suggestion: delimit identifiers

jrohjroh Posts: 15
edited April 2, 2009 7:43PM in SQL Refactor Previous Versions
It would be nice to have a way to delimit existing identifiers, without having to qualify the object name.

Thanks, J

Comments

• Options
    I have logged your feature request in our tracking system (SR-839). I have put a watch on it so that I am informed if/when the status of it changes.
  • Options
    thank you!
  • Options
    By this request, do you mean that you want SQL Refactor to change:

SELECT * FROM Northwind.dbo.Customers

to:

SELECT * FROM [Northwind].[dbo].[Customers]

If so, this is the feature I am also looking for.
  • Options
    yes, exactly-- and also the field name also without expanding the db name

so,

SELECT [field1], [field2] FROM [Northwind].[dbo].[Customers]

The issue is inconsistency. Sql server enterprise manager generates the brackets, and sql prompt generates the brackets, but if I'm looking through old code they may not be on there. I have to do every search and replace twice because it may or may not have the brackets on there.

Thanks, James
  • Options
    This is the exact feature I came on here to find out if sql refactor could this already and I just couldn't find it. Guess not. I second jroh's request.
  • Options
    David AtkinsonDavid Atkinson Posts: 1,439 Rose Gold 2
    edited April 3, 2009 9:42AM
    This seems to be a popular request. I agree that it's slightly inconsistent that there is a "Always delimit identifiers" option that only works for script generation and not for the Lay Out feature.

I've put this on our internal wish list. Can I ask if anyone uses quoted delimeters or is this just square brackets?

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    For me, we are trying to delimit all of our database objects (databases, tables, schemas, columns) with square brackets. We don't use quoted delimiters.