Scheduled jobs forgetting their owner?

krachynskikrachynski Posts: 14 Bronze 5
edited March 18, 2009 10:18AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I'm having an issue keeping my production server backed up properly lately. I had a pair of power failures last month and last weekend we did some power maintenance on the building. What I've since discovered is that after my server experiences a reboot, my scheduled jobs start erroring out with the log entry "The job failed. The owner () of job Axapta Live Full does not have server access." I removed and reinstalled the server components and, in the end, had to recreate the backup job in order to get it to run. This has been fairly consistent in that I need to rebuild my jobs every time the server reboots.

This is a Windows Server 2008 Standard SP1 (64-bit) running SQL Server 2005 (9.00.3073.00) and SQL Backup 5.4.0.55. SQL Server is running under a domain account (sqlserverprod), SQL Agent is running under its own domain account (sqlserveragentprod), SQL Backup agent is running under the server's account (sqlserverprod).

I'm not sure why this is happening on this server. My dev server hasn't been experiencing the same issues, but then, my dev server is only running Windows Server 2000.

Comments

• Hi,

After SQL Backup creates the job, it is just like any other job in SQL Server which has a SQL Backup command.

If the jobs were running correctly before your server was rebooted and no permissions has been changed ... then I will verify the following:

Go to 'SQL Server Management Studio' (SSMS/ Enterprise Manager). Under the 'Jobs', select the job and right click and select the 'Properties'. Under 'General' verify the 'Owner'. After your server is rebooted and the jobs have started failing ... verify the owner again and see if this is changed.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • You using a domain account to run the jobs. This happens because SQL Agent has a problem with the domain controller so that it cannot work out who the Windows account actually is. If you stop/start SQL Agent this should be fixed.

Chris
    English DBA living in CANADA
  • krachynskikrachynski Posts: 14 Bronze 5
    Thanks. I'll keep these in mind the next time I have to restart the server.