Suggestion - database integrity check

CrispinHCrispinH Posts: 57
edited March 16, 2009 11:58AM in SQL Refactor Previous Versions
When developing databases, particularly in the early stages, I frequently make large changes to the structure of tables and some of the stored procedures don't always catch up. It would therefore be useful to have an extension to SQL Refactor (or perhaps SQL Compare) where you can run an integrity check on the entire database to make sure that all is well before attempting to use SQL Compare to copy it to a test environment. SQL Compare does throw errors if the stored procedures contain invalid columns, so it should be a small step (?) to be able to list anomalies for the entire database.

Crispin

Comments

• We're definitely considering something like this and there is a fair amount we could do in this area, checking for orphaned references being just one of them.

What else might you want to have checked?

Regards,

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • In terms of fixing problems, tables missing a primary key is an obvious one. I'll think about other issues and post them later.

Crispin

[/list]
  • I notice that something (probably SQL Prompt) underlines invalid columns in a stored procedure in red, so maybe having a menu option on SQL Refactor or SQL Prompt that allows the deletion of invalid columns would be a good start.