Options

More Project or "Generate Documentation" options, please

JimFJimF Posts: 49 Bronze 3
edited March 27, 2009 2:07PM in SQL Doc Previous Versions
Hello,

I like the fact that I can choose if I want to have the T-SQL in the documentation or not, but I think it would also be nice to have the option of turning on or off other sections too.

For example, sometimes I just want a simple document of tables and columns. I don't always need all of the keys, constraints, etc, printed. When I edited the document manually to see what reduction I would get, I cut a 41 page document down to 21 pages.

Thanks again,
Jim

Comments

• Options
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for your comments. This was discussed however at the time we felt removing the SQL Script was the core use-case, going forward we will consider opening this up more.

Thanks

Ben
  • Options
    Hi,
    I would on occasion want to add column description in the document. Are there any plans to do that?

Although I have admit the layout looks a bit crowded for that.

Regards,
    Vido
  • Options
    Vido wrote:
    Hi,
    I would on occasion wan to to add column description in the document. Are there any plans to do that?

Although I have admit the layout looks a bit crowded for that.

This is already possible by clicking on the Edit button in the column description in the Preview pane. Is this what you are looking for?

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    JimFJimF Posts: 49 Bronze 3
    benhall wrote:
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for your comments. This was discussed however at the time we felt removing the SQL Script was the core use-case, going forward we will consider opening this up more.

Thanks

Ben

Hi Ben,

After spending quite a bit of time editing a generated document, I thought I would add a couple of more options to my "Wish List" of things for SQL Doc in addition to the items in my first post--All in the effort to save those trees!
    • No new section/page for each new object. Just a couple of new lines after the prior object (or some equivalent like one new paragraph with a space after setting, etc).
    • Remove the schema name from the "Uses" section. The Uses section is helpful when listing table names and the like, but personally, I can tell that the object uses a particular schema by looking at the object name. That is I can tell that "dbo.tablename" uses the schema dbo simply by looking at the name.
    • On Views filter out the "MS_DiagramPane1" Extended Property since it is just used by SSMS when displaying a view graphically. It also tends to be a couple of pages long and, at least for me, is just a bunch of gobbledygook.
    • Turn off the square bracket quotes. OK, this one has nothing to do with tree hugging, but personally, I find square brackets "[...]" "noisy". I understand why T-SQL needs them syntactically, but I would like to have the option to remove them from the documentation (especially since I don't tend to create identifiers that need to be quoted).
    Finally, I have one last Blue-Sky wish item.
    • User Defined groupings. Before we purchased SQL Doc I had a program that generated some documentation from the database. One feature it had was the ability to read a specific Extened Property to know how to group objects together based upon my preference. That is, all tables related to transactions where in a "Transaction" section. All tables related to reporting where in a "Reports" section. I was able to give the section my own name, specify the order I wanted to see the sections in and specify the order I wanted to see the items in inside the sections.
    Well, that completes my wish list for now!

Thanks for a great product.