Windows Server 2008 - Exception & file copy question

PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
edited March 6, 2009 6:13PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
When I try to use the "Options" dialog in VSMS2008 on a Windows Server 2008 box (brand new last week), I get:

16 Jan 2009 01:31:52,285 [3] ERROR RedGate.SQLPrompt.CommonUI.Options.Preferences - Could not load file 'C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 3\RedGateRefactorOptionSetDefaults'
System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 3\RedGateRefactorOptionSetDefaults' because it is being used by another process.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
at System.IO.File.ReadAllBytes(String path)
at RedGate.SQLPrompt.CommonUI.Options.Preferences.d(String )

Also, as this is the main Production Server, I'd like to copy my workstation EngineOptions.xml file to this box, - is that permissible? as I have all my table aliases defined there and really do not want to have to load them again...
Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
Decide wisely...

Comments

• The first thing to check would be to try to find out which other process has a lock on the options file. You could download Process Explorer from Microsoft - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96653.aspx.

Once installed, run it and go 'Find' > 'Find handle or dll..', type in 'RedGateRefactorOptionSetDefaults' and then 'Search'. Does it show any processes with a handle on the file?

Regarding the EngineOptions.xml file; there's no reason why you can't copy the file over as long as you have the same versions installed on both your workstation and server. As always, I'd save a copy of the server options before you copy over the workstation options.
  • PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    For whatever reason it appears to be behaving properly and has been for some time, so I'll consider this a "closed thread".

Thanks for the pointer on the options being transferrable.
    Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
    Decide wisely...