Network backup

davidmgraydavidmgray Posts: 19
edited March 9, 2009 6:35AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,
Can Red Gate Backup software backup & restore databases over network drives?

Comments

• Hi,

Yes, you can backup/ restore directly over the network drive.

We also have a functionality where backups can be copied to the network drives after backing up locally.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Hi,

Thanks for the info.

Can you back up direct to a share, e.g,. \\server\share or do you need to back up via a mapped drive letter?

Dave
  • Hi,

You can backup directly to network \\server\share without mapping it to drive letter.

SQL Backup has 14 days of free trial. You might want to try it on your own.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • susanspysusanspy Posts: 1
    edited March 24, 2009 9:39AM
    Hello priya,

thanks a lot for the tip that really worked for me, i want more infrmation & tips on the same, i am new to sql have just completed .NET at niit but it sucks they did not teach anything just took the fees & thats it.

Cheers!!
  • Hello,

I am glad to hear that! Though you can backup directly to the network but it is not considered good... as per the best practise for the reasons below:

• Network errors may occur during the backup process (for example, outages or data corruption).
    • More resources are required than for a local backup. This can result in increased load on the SQL Server and increased duration for the backup.
    • By depending on external network resources, backup performance becomes less predictable.

Ideally, you should backup locally and then use 'COPYTO' keywords to copy the backup file to network. You can read the help file and use the embedded help in the product itself to get more information. There are quite a few 'Notes & articles' as well as 'Knowledge base' articles which might be useful for you. Let us know if you have any specific questions and we would try our best to answer it.

Regards,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software