trying to profile ASP.NET web application

I try to profile an ASP.NET application but i have somme user rights problems: an exception of type UnauthorizedAccessException is thrown.

Is it possible to specify in ANTS Profiler a specific user for authentication ?

Comments

• Hi aragorn,
    I wonder if you can let me know some more about the application you're trying to profile? The version of IIS you're using, and whether your app is configured to run as a specific user, or whether it just uses the default user.

There is an Early Access build of ANTS Performance Profiler 4.3 that you can download. Bart's blog has a link that we'll keep updated:
    http://www.simple-talk.com/community/bl ... 71711.aspx

This has a new feature that might be exactly what you're looking for.

Let me know how it goes!
    Alex
    Alex
    Developer,
    Red Gate .NET Tools
  • Thank you it works fine with your profiler version 4.3.

Now i just have to understand all the features of ANTS Profiler...
  • Hi,

glad the latest build solved the problem for you.

There's a video to help give you a quick start guide to use the new profiler although it has hopefully been designed in such a way to make it very easy to use:

http://www.red-gate.com/products/ants_p ... /index.htm

The main things to note are -

- simply click and drag over a region of CPU in the timeline that you are interested in to see the performance data for that particular region

- The stack traces show the time spent in methods and their children. Methods with an * on them are possible methods that could be optimised.

- To easily visualise how a method is used throughout the program simply click on a method and then click on the Graph icon which appears in the treeview or the grid view to create a very cool call graph for a particular method.

Hope this helps.
  • i have another problem right now.

Profiling ends with an unexpected exception and now when i wnat to launch another time ANTS Profiler i ha ve thje following exception:

Could not launch the task to be profiled.
    RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Exceptions.CannotStartSessionException
    à bH.Launch()
    à RedGate.Profiler.Session.ProfilerSession.i()

Caused by:

Could not start IIS.
    RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Exceptions.CannotStartIisSessionException
    à bM.PerformLaunch()
    à bH.Launch()

Caused by:

Le format de la chaîne d'entrée est incorrect.
    System.FormatException
    stack trace:
    à System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
    à System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
    à RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IIS.IIS6Utilities.a(String )
    à RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IIS.IIS6Utilities.GetW3wpArgs(Uri url, Boolean profileOnNewPort, Int32 newPort)
    à bm.StartProfilingIIS(String currentUserName, String subprocessVariableValue)
    à RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IIS.IISStarter`1.StartProfilingIIS(String currentUserName, String subprocessVariableValue)
    à System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
    à System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(RuntimeMethodHandle md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
    à System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext)
    rethrown at [0]:
    à System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
    à System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
    à RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IIISActuator`1.StartProfilingIIS(String currentUserName, String subprocessVariableValue)
  • Hi aragorn,
    Thank you for reporting the bug in the early access build, that means the bug won't get into the release of 4.3.

I can't work out exactly why it is happening. If you have time, I would appreciate you running the following in a cmd window and pasting me what it says:
    c:
    cd \Windows\system32
    cscript iisapp.vbs

This will just retreive some information about IIS, and won't change your system at all.

Regards,
    Alex
    Alex
    Developer,
    Red Gate .NET Tools
  • Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1996-2001. Tous droits réservés.

Identificateur de processus W3WP.exe : 4596
    Identificateur du pool d'applications : RedGateTestAppPool
  • Merci beaucoup!
    The output of that command is completely different on a french system, it looks like this on an english system:
    W3WP.exe PID: 2208   AppPoolId: DefaultAppPool

I'll make sure we test international versions of windows thoroughly in this situation before the 4.3 release.

As a workaround for the moment, you can use task manager to close any processes called W3WP.exe, then the profiler will be able to start profiling again.

Regards,
    Alex
    Alex
    Developer,
    Red Gate .NET Tools
  • Thanks, it works great.