Feature suggestion

scottnelsonscottnelson Posts: 29
Forgive me if someone's already requested this...

One thing that I would like to see is the ability to set up a compare project (for use on the command line specifically) wherein I can configure the option, at the table level, say, to only add rows to the target...or only update rows...or only insert rows.

When using data compare interactively, for a given table I can see which rows are to be inserted, which are to be updated, which are to be deleted, and I can decide whether to only do inserts, updates, deletes, or some combination of those.

What I'd like is the ability to save this type of preference in my project so that I could run it in batch and, say, only add/update records to my target database and not delete anything.

The main reason for wanting this is that I want to be able to populate a historical database from my live transaction database, and the live database gets purged from time to time of old records. I don't want to propagate those deletes down to my historical database, only add new transaction to it.

If there's already a way to do this that I've overlooked, please point me in the right direction :)

thanks.

Comments

• There's the /ignoreadditional command line parameter which may do the trick. This isn't per-table though. Would this be a problem?

Please let us know if this doesn't do what you need.

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • for the sake of what I need, I would have to be able to set this at the table level.
  • So there are some tables where you would like additional rows to be dropped and some tables where you don't?

You can still of course exclude tables completed for you project by deselecting them from the Tables and Views tab. But for all the selected tables, this option will apply.

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • yes. there are a few tables in my database that have an extremely high number of rows in them, and those are the ones that get archived based on date and hence would apply in this situation.

In other cases, I want all the inserts/updates/deletes to affect my target database.