Options

When does Or How Can I get SQL Prompt To Refresh Its Objects

EdCardenEdCarden Posts: 134 Silver 1
edited February 20, 2009 4:36AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
This is probably somewhere in the help but I'm hoping someone can tell me much faster then it would take me to manually read thru and locate the info (searching for it has failed).

How can I get or When does SQL Prompt update its list of various DB Objects for a connection? For example if I rename a column in a Table that I already have a connection setup for in RedGate, at what point will RedGate pickup that change?

Currently nothing I do seems to get SQL Prompt to refresh itself and pickup the changes.

Comments

• Options
    FYI - I have verified that when you drop the Connection in SQL Prompts options (Connections Tab) and re-create it, any changes made to the DB will now show up in SQL Prompt like column additions/changes.

In addition, RedGate support has graciously offered to investigate this since there have been no replies. Once I have an answer I will be sure to post it here for others.
  • Options
    For the whole thing:
    select SQL Prompt drop down menu and then Cache Management

but be ready for a lengthy wait as it will refresh the details for all databases you have visited.

The method I use is when i connect to a database and things are out of whack, hit Ctrl+Shift+D. I small overlay screen appears in the bottom RHS of the screen and SQL Prompt scans the whole db.

HTH

Jonathan

Senior DBA
    Careers South West Ltd
  • Options
    fatherjack wrote:
    For the whole thing:
    select SQL Prompt drop down menu and then Cache Management

but be ready for a lengthy wait as it will refresh the details for all databases you have visited.

The method I use is when i connect to a database and things are out of whack, hit Ctrl+Shift+D. I small overlay screen appears in the bottom RHS of the screen and SQL Prompt scans the whole db.

HTH

Jonathan

I have connections setup in the Options area for SQLPrompt to explicitly limit the DB's to just the few I most often work with to minimize this re-fesh time. I have to admit that it's pretty quick top when I do the re-fresh however the keyboard combination does not work; I have to go thru the Menu path in SSMS (SQLPrompt -->Refresh Cache
  • Options
    Hi Ed,

I have never had key combination shortcuts fail in SQL Prompt so I dont think I can help you much further. Maybe try/ensure:
    - all three keys are pressed together, not in one after the other
    - are you on the latest release?
    - have you tried an uninstall/re-install?
    - do other shortcuts work/has the Ctrl+Shift+D ever worked?

Jonathan

Senior DBA
    Careers South West Ltd
  • Options
    Jonathan -

I haven't tried any other keyboard shortcuts that I can recall but it's not a big deal as the changes to the DB structure are not frequent enough that I am having to refresh the cache that often so going thru the menus isn't a big deal. When the only way to refresh the cache that I knew of was to re-boot, that was when this was a problem.

I had completely forgotten about the SQLPrompt menu in SSMS because I had gotten so use to using the shortcut to SQLPrompt's options located in the task tray.

Thanks for replying
  • Options
    Surely if you goto Cache management you get 2 offers , Refresh All or highlight a single Db and click Refresh , it does just the one selected

Also theres a check box for Refresh the Cache when opening a new Queyy editor instance, but I suspct that could be a lengthy one .

I normally use the single db Refresh when I am working a Db thats changing a lot

Mike