Visual Studio 2008 For Database GDR no prompt

bpeikesbpeikes Posts: 2
edited January 22, 2009 7:32PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
If I click on "New Query" from the ribbon in VS 2008.
Begin writing query, example

SELECT *
FROM

and then hit Ctrl-Space. I get the redgate prompt, but "No suggestions"

I've selected Refresh Cache from the menu, but that doesn't help.

Any ideas?

It works perfectly fine when I use Sql Server Management Studio.

It also will come up with suggestions for variables or functions, but not table names or columns.

The problem if you are in any part of a query which takes a table name.

Comments

• Could you explain exactly where you're writing your SQL code in Visual Studio 2008? If I click the 'New Query' button it opens a new Query window (with the Diagram, Results, SQL and Criteria panes). SQL Prompt isn't supported in this view so it shouldn't be enabled at all when coding. If you're writing your SQL in a .sql file then this is where SQL Prompt should be offering you the correct suggestions for the database that you've connected to. When you go to the SQL Prompt menu is 'Connect to Server..' highlighted? Could you try connecting to the server or if it is already connected try changing the connection to see if this makes any difference?
  • I have a similar/the same problem and a somewhat annoying workaround.

I created a new SQL Server 2005 Database project. I use 'Import Database Objects and Settings' to populate the project from a live DB and I edit a stored procedure.

SQL Prompt (and Visual Studio) don't associate this file with the original database. It's just a flat file. So all of the auto completion from SQL Prompt is pretty much empty.

The workaround is to click 'SQL Prompt' --> 'Connect to Server' and open the saved connection that points to the live database. I have to do this every time I open any SQL file in the project.

Of course, this will only work until the changes you've made in the project cause the live database to be too far out of sync. Since I'm mostly dealing with stored procedure changes (as opposed to schema changes), this is still a pretty useful workaround.