Options

Package not getting created cleanly

jbrodinjbrodin Posts: 5
edited May 13, 2005 12:59PM in SQL Packager Previous Versions
Most of the time I'm getting a single .exe when I create a package. However for several of our databases I get several files when I try to package:
<packagename>.exe
<packagename>store1.dll
<packagename>store2.dll
<packagename>store3.dll

The .exe file is small but all the .dll files can be very large (i'm guessing this is the data). The other issue is that the package creation is MUCH slower when it runs when this happens compared to a single .exe file. I believe database size is a factor since several of our databases can be fairly large -- 200+ megs.

I am running SQL Packager 1.1.2.5 which is the latest current version but I experienced this in the last version as well.

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

There is a bit of a limitation in Microsoft .net in how large an embedded resource can be in a .NET assembly. This affects SQL Packager because this is how the scripts are saved into the executable. The maximum size is 50MB, so any package larger than that will start producing dlls that are just full of data, but the main executable will remain small.

I can't say for sure why the package would run any slower, except that you're possibly running low on memory. Hopefully it's something as simple as that.
This discussion has been closed.