Options

Data File Has Excessive Freespace Recommendation Issue

joe.adamsjoe.adams Posts: 18
edited January 6, 2009 8:18AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
According to the description in the alerts/recommendations setup, this recommendation is only to be raised when the data file exceeds the specified percentage AND the data file is larger than the specified size.

I've got my recommendation to be raised when the file size is larger than 1000 MB, and the file free space is more than 70%. However, it is raising these recommendations for anything that has more than 70% freespace.

Is this a known issue?

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum and sorry that you have encountered this problem.

From your description of the problem, it appears that the 'Data file larger than' threshold is being ignored.

A support call has been created, whose reference is F0018197. I will investigate the problem and reply back to this forum post.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your patience whilst I investigated your issue.

Unfortunately I am unable to replicate the reported fault symptoms.

I configured a test template and modified the 'Data file has excessive free space' recommendation thresholds as per your settings.

Using 2 test databases, I populated one database so that the data file contained in excess of 1000MB of data. The second database with 20MB of data.

I then dropped all the tables in each database, forcing each database to have over 70% of free space.

My database whose data file was over 1000MB generated the recommendation. The database with the 20MB data file did not generate the alert.

So I can investigate your issue further can you please send to us a copy of your Alert Repository Log Files. Please send the e-mail to support@red-gate.com and include your call reference F0018197 in the subject field of the e-mail.

To obtain the Alert Repository Log Files, simply click on the SQL Response icon and select the option to 'Copy Alert Repository Log File'.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com