Options

SQL Compare and SQL Data compare get blocked by FT Gatherer

rtowne@smarsh.comrtowne@smarsh.com Posts: 12
edited January 5, 2009 1:42PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
SQL Compare runs the following:
SELECT sys.schemas.name AS DefaultOwner, o.name AS DefaultName, sm.definition AS Text, o.object_id AS id  FROM sys.objects o WITH (NOLOCK)        LEFT JOIN sys.schemas WITH (NOLOCK)  ON o.schema_id=sys.schemas.schema_id      LEFT  JOIN sys.sql_modules sm  WITH (NOLOCK) ON sm.object_id=o.object_id  WHERE OBJECTPROPERTY(o.object_id, N'IsDefault')<>0  ORDER BY o.name

and is being blocked by a process running the following command "FT GATHERER". I am building/populating a full-text index and it will take several days. The OBJECTPROPERTY(o.object_id , N'IsDefault') <> 0 is the part that doesn't use NOLOCK and if that were removed or re-written it would resolve my problem. However, I am not sure if there is anything I can do on my side. Has anyone else experienced this and figured out a work around? The server is SQL 2008 EE running on Windows 2008 EE.

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

Unfortunately I do not know of a work around for your issue. Therefore I have submitted a Bug Report / Feature Request for the development team consider adding the NOLOCK parameter to OBJECTPROPERT(o.object_id , N'IsDefault') <> 0 part of the syntax.

The reference for the feature request is SC-4087.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    I was curious if there might be an update on this. Basically it means I cannot use the product on databases that contain large full-text catalogs (since the full-text gatherer will be blocking these types of queries).
  • Options
    Hi,
    I've checked the status of SC-4087 and this is believed to be fixed in the next major release of SQL Compare, v8.0. There will be a public Beta available in the next few weeks which you could try. Please monitor these forums for an annoucement.

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software