New to SQL Backup: Some questions

jason.williams14jason.williams14 Posts: 5
edited December 17, 2008 1:57PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hello everyone.
We are currently evaluating SQL Backup Pro at our location and have some questions.

We currently have about 10 servers in our SQL server environment and it is slowly growing. We are looking at the SQL Toolbelt utility for about 5 users as well as adding all our SQL Servers to SQL Backup Pro and SQL Response.

One of my main questions is, for those that use these tools for lots of SQL Servers, do you use a dedicated server that you install SQL backup and SQL response on? How do you manage the tools?

For example, would it be best to have a "Central Server" where SQL Backup and SQL response are installed upon?
Are there any client tools that can be installed on the PC's that access the central server?

just wanted to some suggestions on how to get this rolled out correctly.

THanks.

Cheers,
Jason

Comments

• Hi,
    SQL Backup and SQL Response currently use different deployment models.

SQL Backup has a small component that gets installed on each SQL Server instance, you then add those servers to each client so no central server needed.

SQL Response on the other had does use a central server. You install the Alert Repository on this central server and then each client will connect to that.
  • Hi Jason,

Thank you for your interest in our SQL tools. Can I assist you with the pricing for the tools?

Please email me on simon.johnson@redgate.com and I will be pleased to calculate a great end of year deal for you.

Thanks again, Simon.
  • Hi,
    SQL Backup and SQL Response currently use different deployment models.

SQL Backup has a small component that gets installed on each SQL Server instance, you then add those servers to each client so no central server needed.

SQL Response on the other had does use a central server. You install the Alert Repository on this central server and then each client will connect to that.

Thanks Nigel. Appreciate your response.

So for the SQL Backup piece, since we have a team of DBA's, what is the best way to set this up, so all of us can manage Backup Pro? That is where I am a little fuzzy.

For the SQL response piece, that makes sense.
    Thanks,

Jason
  • So for the SQL Backup piece, since we have a team of DBA's, what is the best way to set this up, so all of us can manage Backup Pro? That is where I am a little fuzzy.

Each DBA can install the client locally and then add the machines they want to look at. From there they can install the server components if they've not been done by one of the other DBAs for that instance.

Note the licensing is by server machine and so once a DBA has licensed an instance all instances on that box can be viewed by all DBAs