CHM doesn't work with IE8 beta

PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
edited December 12, 2008 9:18PM in SQL Doc Previous Versions
Any idea when a SQL Doc version will be ready (beta even) that will work with IE8 as the underpinning of the .chm file explorer? It's not only SQL Doc's .chm that's unusable with IE8, btw. And "why do you have IE8 beta?" you may ask; well I had a nasty parameter area visibility issue with RS2000 and MS Support said to install IE8 to see if it fixed the rendering issue, which it didn't! And I haven't dared uninstall for fear of what may go bad on my machine!
Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
Decide wisely...

Comments

• Hm...I have IE 8.00.6001.18241, and the CHM viewer seems to work happily on SQL Doc 2.0 output, using the rendering DLLs from this version of IE.

Can you let me know:

1) what doesn't work for you? Is the CHM totally unviewable, or are there specific rendering problems?

2) what version of IE8 you are using?
    Charles Brown
    Red Gate Software
  • PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    Same build as you.

All I get is:

Navigation to the webpage was canceled

What you can try:
    Retype the address.

This happens for every node in the explorer view. I can expand the tree and the names of everything I asked for are correctly there. Wandering around in the SQL Doc UI is no problem, it's just the chm.
    Decide wisely...
  • Hello,

Thanks for your post. Since IE7 (I think), there has been security settings around viewing CHM files from certain locations. Are you saving the CHM to a network path\drive? If so, Windows might block you viewing the document. If you save the file to a local drive, you should be able to view the document.

I think this KB explains the scenario:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902225

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Thanks

Ben
    Save to a network drive it is... I'll read the post you helpfully provided and see if I can get it to work...

Many thanks!
    Decide wisely...
    Needed to have our sys admin cook up a .reg script to enable the UNC access and needed to run it on all machines that would access the .chm - after that all is well provided the shortcut uses the UNC file path, not the mapped network drive letter :oops: .
    Decide wisely...