Job Type is UNKNOWN when I create differential backup...

jimmaurerjimmaurer Posts: 3
edited December 11, 2008 6:32AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
When I schedule a FULL backup the Job Type displays as FULL. This is important because it allows me to edit the job.

When I schedule a DIFFERENTIAL backup the Job Type displays as UNKNOWN and I can not edit the job.

I am having this problem on my SQL 2005 machines; it works fine on my SQL 2000 machines.

I installed SQL Backup 5.4 and it did not improve things.

Any direction you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks ... Jim Maurer

Comments

• Hi,

Have you edited the job script or added any extra step to the job manually?

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • I tried a couple of things. I set the Job Type in SQL to 'Database Maintenance'. that did not help. I added a log file, that did not seem to change anything.

To answer your question, the job type was never BACKUP. It was created as UNKNOWN and seems to stay that way.
  • Hi,

You can edit a SQL Backup job via the UI only if the job has just one step and if SQL Backup is able to parse the command in the job as a SQL Backup command. SQL Backup doesn't look at Job Type.

If your job has a valid SQL Backup command and it has only one step then it should work. If this is the case and it is still not working then kindly send us the command present in your job step. You can either post it or send via a pm to me directly. The other thing which I would do is trying creating exactly the same DIFFERENTIAL job again via the UI and see if that works.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software