Question - Import SQL Server from SSMS

jerryhungjerryhung Posts: 138
edited December 4, 2008 2:44PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Is it user account specific?

I have 2 domain accounts (let's say A and B)
A is for local and B is for servers

To use Windows Authentication for servers I need to use account B, so I run SSMS using "Run As" B, with SQL Server registered in SSMS

But if I try to import in SQL Backup (5.3), either Run As B or Run As A
I see only registered servers in B's SSMS

and it's not refreshed correctly (I have added NEW servers and DELETED some, but they still exist from the same list when I installed SQL Backup)

Q1: Does Import feature detect user-specific SSMS settings?

Q2: How do I refresh the Import list?

Thank you
Jerry Hung
DBA, MCITP

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Jerry,

Both SQL Backup and Management Studio keep their server lists in the user's profile, so in order to get a different user list, you would have to log on as that user.

I'd imagine that if you wanted to synchronize SQL Backup and SSMS repeatedly, you would have to dump the server list and re-import it.
  • Thanks Brian

User profile thing I understand

1. My A account has NOTHING in my SSMS though
    yet I still see SOME servers from the import list

I also believe when you RUN AS ... another user (B), settings ARE stored under that user profile instead of your windows login account (A)

2. How do I dump the server list in SQL Backup Import?
    That'd be easiest

3. How do I export & import SQL Backup servers/groups list? maybe to another SQL Backup location?
    Jerry Hung
    DBA, MCITP
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Import/export or server lists isn't really supported in backup, but you may be able to export them manually using an XML tool because the server list is all in %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Servers.dat in XML format. Note you wouldn't want to just copy the file to another user profile as it contains some UI and other settings.

I can't comment on the server list that you import from SSMS using RunAs -- I do know that when you use RunAs, service logins, and batch logins, you effectively get a stripped-down "desktopless" profile so maybe you are still getting the list from your current user profile. I'd have to try to reproduce that.
  • So today I was testing it, and realized

I have both SSMS 2005 and SSMS 2008 installed
    all servers are under the domain B account

and SQL Backup was Importing Servers from SSMS 2005 Registered Servers, NOT SSMS2008 ones.

It is doing it real-time too (I am running SSMS 2005 as account B, Delete a server, import server in SQL Backup, server is no longer listed)

I guess deciding whether to import from SSMS 2005 or 2008 is beyond SQL Backup's scope
    Jerry Hung
    DBA, MCITP