backup fails with VDI error 1000

brosatobrosato Posts: 89 Bronze 2
edited December 4, 2008 8:03AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Failed to recognize the SQL Server instance name. Check that the SQL Backup service startup user has read/write rights to access the SQL Server service information.

That account is a local admin. What else could it possibly need?

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Could you please try stopping the SQL Backup Agent service, change the SQL Backup Agent service startup account to the one used by the related SQL Server service, restart the service, run a test backup, and let me know if the same error still occurs?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • brosatobrosato Posts: 89 Bronze 2
    The account that SQL Server is running under has elevated permissions so it will most certainly work. That's what I'm trying to get away from.
    Could you please download this app:

http://www.sqlbackuprestore.com/downloa ... Reader.zip

Run it on the server where SQL Server is running, and check if the ACEs' for the SQL Server service are adequate to allow the SQL Backup Agent service startup account read access.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
    petey wrote:
    Could you please download this app:

http://www.sqlbackuprestore.com/downloa ... Reader.zip

Run it on the server where SQL Server is running, and check if the ACEs' for the SQL Server service are adequate to allow the SQL Backup Agent service startup account read access.

Here's what the DACL reader says for the account and it still doesn't work. Same error. I gave it the same permissions as local admin. Do I have to reboot or something?

Account : COSMO\sqlbackup (user)
    Type : ACCESS_ALLOWED
    Rights : Query Configuration
    : Change Configuration
    : Query State
    : Enumerate Dependencies
    : Start
    : Stop
    : Pause
    : Interrogate
    : User Defined
    : Delete
    : Read Control
    : Change Permissions
    : Change Owner
    Your configuration looks fine. The only permission that the SQL Backup Agent service startup account needs to have is 'Query configuration' (CC), on the SQL Server service.

I would suggest turning on auditing for the 'Object Access' category (e.g. using secpol.msc), run a backup, and check using the Event Viewer which object accesses are being denied.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
    petey wrote:
    Your configuration looks fine. The only permission that the SQL Backup Agent service startup account needs to have is 'Query configuration' (CC), on the SQL Server service.

I would suggest turning on auditing for the 'Object Access' category (e.g. using secpol.msc), run a backup, and check using the Event Viewer which object accesses are being denied.

I just gave it everything to remove all doubt. Well, auditing doesn't show any failure on object access. Matter of fact, it doesn't show any success for object access either. There are no log entries for the SQL Backup service account at all.