Profiling a VSTO add-in

Can you provide information on the correct setup to profile a VSTO 2005 SE application (built for Office 2007)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Hi,

The trick here is to profile the office application you're actually hosting your addin in, so Word / Excel / Outlook. I'm assuming you've got the addin loading on start up already, so you shouldn't need to do any further configuration.

When you try and start profiling, ANTS Profiler may warn you that you haven't selected a .NET executable, but accept this warning and carry on anyway. As the application starts up, watch the status bar in ANTS Profiler - it should change from "Waiting for connection..." to "Profiling performance of...".

I've just done a really quick test here in Office 2007, and it all seems to work nicely.

Hope that helps,
    Robert
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate
  • I am having the same problem. I am using VS.NET 2008 with the latest version of ANTS Profiler (version 4.1) and I am not able to profile Microsoft Word 2007 AddIns. I get the following error : "The target of the active project is not an executable file" and it gives me no choices.

Any idea how to fix that? Is it possible to profile this kind of project?

Thanks!
  • Hi,

You need to select "winword.exe" as the application you want to profile, rather than your Add-in DLL. I've not personally tried it with Word, but Outlook 2007 add-ins certainly work using this method.

Hope that helps,
    Robert
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate