Options

SQLAgent account longer than 30 chars

keymookeymoo Posts: 38
edited November 24, 2008 8:26AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hello,

I am getting the symptoms described in this article:

http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... 000285.htm

However, the article does not describe exactly what security checks are skipped when adding the registry key to Skip Checks. I cannot change the service account name at the moment and need to understand exactly what security risk is presented by switching off security checks.

thanks

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

I believe it skips the check on your login to make sure you have permissions to do the backup. If you skip this, your backups will fail. So I don't think there are any security implications as a result of skipchecks.
  • Options
    Thanks, on one of my servers where the SQL Backup server components are installed I am getting the above symptoms but the registry hive HKLM\SOFTWARE\Redgate does not exist. This means I cannot add the SkipChecks key to this server.

Please advise as to how to fix this.

Regards,
    keymoo
  • Options
    The key name is RED<space>gate rather than "redgate". This key will exist on your SQL Server. If it doesn't, you're probably going to have even bigger problems.
  • Options
    There are no keys named Red anything, no red-gate, redgate or red<space>gate. This is a production server so I need it fixed - should I call redgate support?
  • Options
    If it's a 64-bit server you will find this in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Red Gate key.
  • Options
    Brian,

Yes that was it, thanks - I am using a 64-bit server. Working fine now.