backup won't complete

rtowne@smarsh.comrtowne@smarsh.com Posts: 12
edited December 29, 2008 11:56AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I have a very large database - over 12TB.

I just downloaded and am trying the latest release (5.3.0.178, btw, i like the picture of the SQL Backup 5 team, maybe smile more next time :).

When I tried a full backup, I look at the process and the I/O Read bytes basically gets "stuck" - it doesn’t move along.
I cannot kill the spid or process (once I've let it go long enough and have determined that the backup isn’t happening - or over 24 hours). Basically, I can only stop SQL Server to stop the process.

The backup command:
EXECUTE master..sqlbackup N'-SQL "BACKUP DATABASE [xxx] TO DISK = ''D:\mounted\backups2\prod\db\<AUTO>.sqb'' WITH COMPRESSION = 1, THREADCOUNT = 7"'

Server = win2003 x64
backup destination volume has more than enough free space.

I don’t see any log files that I can pass along to you from the following directories – but I might be missing something.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Backup
Or in
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup

The errors that I get in the SQL Server error log is:
BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE smarsh. Check the backup application log for detailed messages.

And in the app error log the messages are shown below:

SQLVDI: Loc=TriggerAbort. Desc=invoked. ErrorCode=(0). Process=1320. Thread=4936. Server. Instance=MSSQLSERVER. VD=Global\SQLBACKUP_0348B23D-4BD9-44FA-888E-348995C3A28F_SQLVDIMemoryName_0.

SQLVDI: Loc=WaitForResource. Desc=Partner process aborted. ErrorCode=(0). Process=1320. Thread=4936. Server. Instance=MSSQLSERVER. VD=Global\SQLBACKUP_0348B23D-4BD9-44FA-888E-348995C3A28F_SQLVDIMemoryName_0.

So far I really like the GUI and the tool, but getting a full backup is critical to trial. Thanks for any input you could provide to help out.

Thanks
Robert

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Try backing up and restoring a small database first, to ensure that SQL Backup has been installed correctly.

Once that's confirmed, run a backup of your large database. Run
    EXEC master..sqbstatus

periodically to check if the backup is running. If nothing seems to be happening, run
    EXEC sp_who2

to check if any other process is blocking the backup.

You can stop the SQL Backup backup by stopping the SQL Backup Agent service for that instance.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • We are having a problem with SQLBackup not finishing. It appears to hang on full backups. This is causing huge problems as we do not have reliable backups for our mission critical databases. This also causes differentials to reference the previous good backup and grow much larger than what they should be.

When I looked at the sys processes, it is waiting on [BULKOP_BACKUP_DB].

I have emailed Red gate support too.

Any quick fix or workaround is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Narasimhan.
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Could you please check for the following:

- are there log files generated for the backups that hung? By default, the log files are stored in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\<instance name>.

- could you please run the following from Query Analyzer/Management Studio:
    EXEC master..sqbutility 9997

Is there a file named SQBCoreService_bugreport.txt generated in the folder where the SQL Backup Agent service executable file (SQBCoreService.exe) is installed in? If there is, could you please send us that file too?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • I, too, am having a similar problem. I am backing up 15 or so databases with each backup job, and also running separate transaction log backups. Periodically some of the jobs never complete and just hang indefinitely.

http://screencast.com/t/hviODHaICa

This is SQL 2000 running on Win Server 2003, using SQL Backup 5.3.0.178

Restarting the SQL Backup Agent service does kill the jobs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jason