fixed in 7? command line switch must exclude items !present

austrianfoodispukeaustrianfoodispuke Posts: 100
edited October 23, 2008 11:44AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
If I run the command line version of SQLCompare, it errors if the item it is trying to compare is missing, and I have to use the exclude switch.

This seems odd as the GUI just says the item is missing.

Is this fixed in 7?

[I'm comparing a folder structure with a backup file]

Comments

• Actually I'm comparing a folder structure with a db (not a backup)

It would seem like a fundamental product flaw that it can't cope with the comparison object not being there.

Regardless, is this fixed in v7?
  • Hi,

Thanks for informing us of the error.

I have tried comparing a scripts folder with a database and I can't reproduce it. What do you mean when you say that the command line errors? Is the missing object in the scripts folder or in the database?

Also, which version of SQL Compare are you using? It may help if you provide us with the full command line parameters that you are using.

Thanks,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • I'm using an earlier version of sql compare (I do have 7 installed but for the purposes of our automated build, we are currently using 6)

If I run the command line and it encounters a table which is present on the db and tries to compare it to a script in a folder (which I know does not exist) it errors.

I would expect it to continue, just noting that the object was missing.

Instead it errors with 'invalid object'

I just wanted to know if this was fixed in v7
  • Could you please email me the scripted out object and I'll have a look?

I've tried this on v6.2 and it works for me using sqlcompare.exe /scripts1:myscriptsfolder /database2:widgetdev /server2:davidatest\sql2005

This outputs
    Table                   [dbo].[mynewtable]                                 <<

which is what I expect for the additional object. I also tried:

sqlcompare.exe /scripts2:myfolder /database1:widgetdev /server1:davidatest\sql2005
    Table                   [dbo].[mynewtable]                             >>

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David.Atkinson at Red-Gate.com
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software