Snippets - SPACES instead of TAB

TSchwabTSchwab Posts: 80
edited January 20, 2009 6:35AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Hi there,

when candidates are inserted by SQL-Prompt it uses TAB and not single SPACEs to intent the candidates. Is there any way to force SQL-Prompt to use SPACE and not TAB???

Thanks,

Thorsten
Regards,

Thorsten

Comments

• Hello Thorsten,

It is possible to configure SPACE as a completion key to insert suggestions from the Candidate List (the pop up that drops down with a list of possible suggestions) but the completion key for snippet insertion is set to use only TAB and this is not configurable with the current releases.
    However, I will log this as an enhancement request into our tracking database and our product management team will look into it for the future releases.

Thanks,
    Tanya
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • TSchwab wrote:
    Hi there,

when candidates are inserted by SQL-Prompt it uses TAB and not single SPACEs to intent the candidates. Is there any way to force SQL-Prompt to use SPACE and not TAB???

Thanks,

Thorsten

Hi Thorsten,

Just to confirm your query, you are referring to insert snippets and not indentation of your SQL statements with Space?

Thanks,
    Tanya
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • tanya wrote:
    Hi Thorsten,

Just to confirm your query, you are referring to insert snippets and not indentation of your SQL statements with Space?

Thanks,
    Tanya
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd

Hi Tanya,
    thanks for your reply.

I mean both and the candidate list....
    For example....

SELECT *
    FROM

I start typing SELECT in Column 5 (I've inserted 4 Spaces before typing) using the Snippet SSF --- SQL-Prompt uses TAB in front of FROM

The same happens, when I press TAB right next to the * to get the complete Candidate list.

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Thorsten
    Regards,

Thorsten
  • Hi Thorsten,

Thanks for you post.

You’re quite right, there isn’t currently any option in SQL Prompt for indenting with spaces instead of tabs, but my colleague Richard suggested a workaround.
    After SQL Prompt has inserted the snippet, select the affected lines (or the whole document, it doesn’t matter), and from the menu bar choose Edit -> Advanced -> Untabify Selected Lines.
    It’s a bit of a hassle, I know, but we are looking into addressing this issue in our future versions.

I hope that helps.

Regards,
    Tanya
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Hi Tanya,

thanks for the tip. That helps, it's just a little inconvenient to click through all the menus .... :wink:

Is there any way to put a shortcut on it???? Or to put it as a icon on the Toolbar???

Thanks,
    Thorsten
    Regards,

Thorsten
  • Hello Thorsten,

I have sent you a PM explaining how to work around this.

Regards,
    Tanya
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • I find this annoying as well.

I know SQL Prompt doesn't do this now, but there is a setting in SSMS that specifies whether to insert spaces or keep tabs (Tools|Options|Text Editor|All Languages|Tabs|Tab|Insert spaces -OR- Keep tabs). Could SQL Prompt just read that setting and use it?
  • I find this annoying as well.

I know SQL Prompt doesn't do this now, but there is a setting in SSMS that specifies whether to insert spaces or keep tabs (Tools|Options|Text Editor|All Languages|Tabs|Tab|Insert spaces -OR- Keep tabs). Could SQL Prompt just read that setting and use it?

You are right.
    That would be best...
    :D
    Regards,

Thorsten
  • Hello,

Using Tabs will be included in SQL Prompt v4 Pro edition as a Format option.

Thanks,
    Tanya
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • When will SQL-Prompt 4.0 be released?
    Regards,

Thorsten
  • Hello,

We are looking at getting a beta release in Q2 2009 and the final release would pretty much rely on the beta feedback.
    Please bear in mind that this is a rough estimate that might change. Do watch the forum postings for further updates.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
    Tanya
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd