Options

Problems displaying details for warnings

wdwd Posts: 25
edited October 17, 2008 4:58AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
Hi there,

I have finally got around to installing SQLResponse to begin proper monitoring of our production servers.

I am having troubles displaying details for some of the warnings for a particular server. The details for disk space alerts will not display and instead I get the following exception:
System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException: Server encountered an internal error. For more information, turn off customErrors in the server's .config file.

Server stack trace: 

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
   bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   bei RedGate.SqlResponse.Common.IAlertService.GetAlertDetails(Int32 occurenceId, Stream& traceStream)
   bei bp.a(IncidentType , Int32 , IAlertFileLoader , Int32 , Int32 )
   bei bp.GetIncidentDetails(IncidentType incidentType, Int32 alertDetailsID, IAlertFileLoader progress, Int32 percentMin, Int32 percentMax)
   bei bq.a(Int32 , Int32 )

This is only happening on one of our servers, the others are fine. Is this information collected from the Repository, or are the details called "live" from the system when required and the WMI call is somehow being stopped?

Many thanks in advance!

William

p.s. If you need a screenshot, I can provide one.

Comments

• Options
    Hi William,

This appears to be a network/.net remoting issue when the alert details are downloaded from the Alert Repository to the client application.

Does restarting the client fix this?

Cheers,
    --
    Daniel
  • Options
    Hi Daniel,

that seems to have fixed it.

Cheers

William
  • Options
    Hi,

I spoke too soon! I got the same problem again, even after restarting my server completely.

It happens after clicking through a few alerts on one server, finally one of the alerts gets the error I mentioned previously.

Edit: I tried to locally connect to the Repository and got the following message
    SQL Response cannot retrieve the details for this alert.

This can happen if SQL Response encountered a problem and stopped while it was creating the alert file, the alert file has been deleted, or is inaccessible for some other reason.

regards

william
  • Options
    Hi William,

This looks like a different issue.

You can get the repository log file by right clicking on the SQL Response Icon on the top left of the client window and clicking 'Copy Alert Repository Log File...'

Cheers,
    --
    Daniel