I/O Error in virtual enviroment

vidarmvidarm Posts: 7
edited October 17, 2008 2:37AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi we use Microsoft Virtual Server to host other Windows Servers. And when I try so backup, in 80% of the times, I get this error:

Waring 210: Thread 0 warning:
Warning 210: ERror writing to backup file: E:\SQLBacup\Hourly\DIFF_(local)_BM_20081013_120000.sqb
Warning: System error 1117 (The request could not be performed because og an I/O device error)

Thread 0 error:
Error 620: Error writing to backup file(s).

Any help appreciated

best regard
Vidar Markussen

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Were there any errors recorded in the Windows event logs?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Yes, this is the error.

The operating system returned error 1117(The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.) to SQL Server during a write at offset 0x00000000470000 in file 'E:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\tempdb.mdf'. Additional messages in the SQL Server error log and system event log may provide more detail. This is a severe system-level error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB). This error can be caused by many factors; for more information, see SQL Server Books Online.
  • 10.0.0.9: Backup - Failed
    =========================

Performing full backups - Failed

This operation failed with errors.

Backing up DNNStage (full database) to:
    E:\SQLBackup\Daily\FULL_(local)_DNNStage_20081015_183051.sqb
    Thread 0 error:
    Process terminated unexpectedly. Error code: -2139684860
    SQL error 3013: SQL error 3013: BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
    SQL error 3271: SQL error 3271: A nonrecoverable I/O error occurred on file "SQLBACKUP_EF16147B-B2A2-453B-A29D-71579B86A6D5:" 995(The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.).
    SQL error 823: SQL error 823: The operating system returned error 1117(The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.) to SQL Server during a write at offset 0x00000004a00000 in file 'E:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\DNNStage
    .mdf'. Additional messages in the SQL Server error log and system event log may provide more detail. This is a severe system-level error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency
    check (DBCC CHECKDB). This error can be caused by many factors; for more information, see SQL Server Books Online.
    SQL Backup exit code: 790
    SQL error code: 823

Updating SQL Server information - Successful

This operation completed successfully.
    Do you encounter similar errors when backing up using regular SQL Server backup commands?
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Yes, I tried this now, and there was a problem with regular backup, so the problem is not red-gate related, sorry to have bothered you guys.

-v-
    Thank you for the update.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software