SQL Toolkit

mtranmtran Posts: 34
We have a license of the SQL Toolkit version 6 but it's now called SQL Comparison SDK version 7. My question is do we have to upgrade/purchase a new license to use this for SQL Data Compare 7 and SQL Compare 7 (we are currently using version 6 for both). Also are these licenses PC specific? Could I transfer the license off of one PC to use it on another or would I have to purchase it again?

Thanks.

Comments

• Hi,

Thanks for your question. If you purchased a support/upgrades contract, you are entitled to upgrade for free. If not, please contact sales@red-gate.com for a quote.

The license is per user. To move a license, you must deactivate it from one PC and activate it on another by following the instructions at: http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/G ... oducts.htm

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Hey,

Thanks for your reply. Will SQL Toolkit work with SQL Data Compare 7 and SQL Compare 7 or will we have to upgrade to SQL Comparison SDK 7?

Thanks
  • What do you mean by 'work with'?

To use the dlls that come with SQL Compare and Data Compare 7, to use any the new features / take advantage of the bug fixes in your code, or to load their projects, or to read their snapshots, you'll need the new SDK.

If you just happen to be using the new tools on the same live / script / backup databases as your old code, that will probably still work fine.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Thank you. I am developing in an environment that already has SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare. When I move my application onto a different PC, will that PC need SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare installed?
  • No, the SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare applications need not be installed. You could try the "Unofficial installer" as found on http://labs.red-gate.com/index.php/SQL_Comparison_SDK

This page also links to other useful resources that should help you along your way. If you have any trouble at all, please let us know.

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Sorry for so many questions, thank you for your responses and patience.
    If I was creating a dll instead of an application and one of my functions returns the object Differences, would an application using my dll require the SQL Comparison SDK to use this object?

Thanks again!
  • I think this really depends on how your dll returns the differences. If it returns them as some kind of generic list, then the app using the dll wouldn't need to have the SDK assemblies referenced. However, if your app wants to use any objects that are part of the RedGate namespace, then in order to read the object, the application will also need to reference the necessary assemblies in the project.
    Chris