I am trying to install the MSI for the alert repository as follows:

SQL Response 1.0.0.1746
Windows 2003 Standard x64 SP2

I get this error...
SQL Response Alert Repository 1 Setup Wizard ended prematurely

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Are you installing the Alert Repository for the first time or upgrading it?

If you are installing via the 'Alert Repository Setup' dialog in client on the same server, then at the end when the Alert Repository installer fails ... you can see an error code and the location to the log file which will be something like "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\Red Gate\SR0d14cf6b-eae6-4d45-b010-c1f071b12749.txt". You can also see this file by clicking anywhere on the that error box on the 'Alert Repository Setup' box. Can you kindly email me that log file at priya.sinha@red-gate.com?

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    I tried to install in my WinXP to just see it working and it actually came back with an error screen that pointed me to a log. The Win2003 experience did not and I did not want to go guessing as to where it would be.

Based on the WinXP error, I was able to figure out that it did not like my login as it tried to "change" it on the domain controller. I suspected the login I gave it was not suitable for running as a service, so I created a local account and ultimately will have to get our admins to get me a service account if we will run it long term.

My only feedback would be more robust error messages around the Win2003 experience and maybe some initial validation of the service account.

So far so good on the trial. Thanks!
  • Options
    I am glad to hear that it is working for you now and you are liking SQL Response. Thanks for the suggestions about error message.

We do have some checks to validate the service account but from your feedback it looks like it is not working in all cases. We would investigate this further.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software