Options

Log Shipping Issue

Rajnish AwasthiRajnish Awasthi Posts: 14
edited January 13, 2009 9:55AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi all,
I am facing one issue in log shipping while restoring job is running on secondary server. Log shipping was working fine in first 45 minutes but after that it giving following error .

VDI error 1010: Failed to get the configuration from the server becuase the timeout interval has elapsed. Check that
SQL Server instance is running and that you have the sql system administrator server role; or try increasing the value
of the VDITimeout registry setting in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_SOFTWARE\Red Gate\Sql Backup\BackupSettingGlobal\[InstanceName]

Please help

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    I believe that you may have already contacted Product Support regarding your problem. Call Reference F0015706:

From the information you have provided to us via e-mail, for what ever reason, SQL Server cannot obtain exclusive access, which prevents the VDI from being created.

Your restore process is failing due to SQL Error 3101: Exclusive access could not be obtained because the database is in use.
    This can occur if you have SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) or Enterprise Manager or Query Analyzer connection to the restoring database. Or you restore using the WITH STANDBY argument which places the database into a Read-Only state and therefore may have a user running a query against the database.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Yes , That was something urgent that's why i paste my query in forums also.

Thanks to reply, Its now resolved.
  • Options
    was there ever an answer for this....? I'm getting the same answer even though all connections to the DB being restored are killed as part of the restore process...
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

The answer to this is probably a management one. The exclusive access restriction is a restriction of SQL Server and the DBA must prevent connections at restore time, the reason for these connections depend on your environment.

The last time I dealt with a case like this, although the kill connections script had been run, nothing was preventing new connections to the database, so sometimes a connection would "sneak in" while the connection-killing script was running. So although the next version of SQL Backup will give you the option to kill all connections as part of the restore process, it may not solve the problem 100% of the time unless it can prevent other connections to the database from happening.