Usability issues

jamcikjamcik Posts: 3
Hi,

-1-
I have set up a project. Every time I compare databases by default all tables and views are selected (Include All). Is there a way to have Exclude All as a default option?

-2-
Project configuration > tab Tables & Views
Can owner/schema column to be added to this view? (many tables have the same name but are in different schema. Without the schema/owner it is difficult to identify the right object).

Thanks,
Arko

Comments

• David AtkinsonDavid Atkinson Posts: 1,431 Rose Gold 2
    edited September 29, 2008 10:33AM
    Hi Arko,

Thanks for your comments.

1) Are you talking about the checkboxes in "Tables and Views", or the checkboxes in the main comparison results grid?

2) This is definitely not ideal and we've had similar comments before. A trick is to use the filter field (top right hand side corner in Tables and Views) to narrow down the list. This uses the fully qualified name so if you have a schema called "myschema", you can type "[myschema]." (without the quotes) into the Filter textfield and it will reduce your object list to just those belonging to that schema. We'll improve this in future, possibly by simply adding a schema/owner column (internal feature request: SDC-851).

Regards,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • 1) Yes I am talking about main comparison results grid. Ideally I would see it as a configurable option.
    I reckon it is safer if user has explicitly choose the objects rather than having all of them selected by default. For example pushing data from DEV to TEST I never include all the objects. Again from TEST to LIVE usually all the objects are included.

This is looks somewhat different to SQL Compare where none of the objects is selected by default.
  • Actually... SQL Compare works in the same way - all objects are selected by default for synchronization. You will be relieved to hear that in the next versions of the products we hope to change this so that all objects are deselected (internal feature request: SDC-850), so it seems like your wish will be granted! As you point out, this is a lot safer.

Thanks for your comments. Please keep posting them!

Regards,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software