Profiler won't start profiling

arfarf Posts: 5
I am not able to run Profiler on any of my ASP.NET web applications. :(

When Profiler is started it stops and restarts IIS and shows "Wating for connection" IE opens up with a Page cannot be displayed error" If I open IIS it shows that the default web site and the Default Application Pool as not being started (has an X next to it). If I manually try to start the default web site in IIS I get the following error.

IIS was unable to start the site. Another site may already be using the port you configured for this site. Please select an unused port for this site.

Profiler will remain indefinitley in a "wating for connection" state until the browser is closed. The same probelm occurs on all my different web applications (all running localhost on Port 80). I don't see any error message in the event viewer.

I am running Win2003 Sp1 Framework 1.1

I:\Inetpub\AdminScripts>cscript adsutil.vbs ENUM W3SVC/AppPools/DefaultAppPool
Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1996-2001. All rights reserved.

KeyType : (STRING) "IIsApplicationPool"

I:\Inetpub\AdminScripts>cscript adsutil.vbs ENUM W3SVC/1
Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1996-2001. All rights reserved.

KeyType : (STRING) "IIsWebServer"
ServerComment : (STRING) "Default Web Site"
ServerAutoStart : (BOOLEAN) True
ServerSize : (INTEGER) 1
ServerBindings : (LIST) (1 Items)
":80:"

DefaultDoc : (STRING) "Default.htm,Default.asp,index.htm,ii
sstart.htm,Default.aspx"
AppPoolId : (STRING) "DefaultAppPool"
[/W3SVC/1/Filters]
[/W3SVC/1/IIsCertMapper]
[/W3SVC/1/ROOT]

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

ANTS Profiler wants to profile the application based on the user that's running it in the case of ASP .NET. Unfortunately, it's still using machine.config to log in as that user so it can update the ASP .NET user's profile to allow application profiling.

Is the default app pool still running under the Network Service account, or have you changed the identity to something else?
  • The default application pool is running under the Network Service account.

Uninstalling Ants Profiler 2.0 and re-installing Profiler version 1.3 build 147 cures the problem. Version 1.3 works with no problems.
    It appears that the problem is with the 2.0 release or the 1.3 to 2.0 upgrade process.
    Hello,

What does the machine.config file have in it for the particular version of the Framework that you're using as the apsnet user under the processModel section? Is it System, Machine, or a named user?

There could be a mismatch between the user information for the application pool and what's in machine.config. ANTS Profiler doesn't like it when that happens.
  • From Machine config: (Note: I am running IIS 6, Win2003SP1)

When ASP.NET is running under IIS 6 in native mode, the IIS 6 process model is
    used and settings in this section are ignored. Please use the IIS administrative
    UI to configure things like process identity and cycling for the IIS
    worker process for the desired application
    -->
    <processModel enable="true" timeout="Infinite" idleTimeout="Infinite" shutdownTimeout="0:00:05" requestLimit="Infinite" requestQueueLimit="5000" restartQueueLimit="10" memoryLimit="60" webGarden="false" cpuMask="0xffffffff" userName="machine" password="AutoGenerate" logLevel="Errors" clientConnectedCheck="0:00:05" comAuthenticationLevel="Connect" comImpersonationLevel="Impersonate" responseDeadlockInterval="00:03:00" maxWorkerThreads="20" maxIoThreads="20"/>
    <webControls clientScriptsLocation="/aspnet_client/{0}/{1}/"/>

===============================================

In IIS Manager the Default Application Pool Identity "Security Account" is set to "Network Service"
    That looks like a n unmodified machine.config to me. I'll see if I can find another reason for this.
  • I am having this same problem. I am running IIS 5.1. Windows XP Pro.
  • When I tell ANTS to Stop Profiling (and it is still "Waiting for Connection") I get the following exception

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at ᐽ.ᐃ()
    at ᐽ.ᐂ()
    at ᐃ.ᐚ()
    at ᐃ.ᐁ(String , Object )
    at ᐜ.ᐁ(Object , ItemClickEventArgs )
    at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarManager.RaiseItemClick(ItemClickEventArgs e)
    at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarItem.OnClick(BarItemLink link)
    at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarBaseButtonItem.OnClick(BarItemLink link)
    at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarItemLink.OnLinkClick()
    at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarItemLink.OnLinkAction(BarLinkAction action, Object actionArgs)
    at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarButtonItemLink.OnLinkAction(BarLinkAction action, Object actionArgs)
    at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarItemLink.OnLinkActionCore(BarLinkAction action, Object actionArgs)
    at DevExpress.XtraBars.ViewInfo.BarSelectionInfo.ClickLink(BarItemLink link)
    at DevExpress.XtraBars.ViewInfo.BarSelectionInfo.UnPressLink(BarItemLink link)
    at DevExpress.XtraBars.Controls.CustomLinksControl.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at DevExpress.XtraBars.Controls.DockedBarControl.WndProc(Message& msg)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0
    Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.573
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll
    RedGate.Profiler.UI
    Assembly Version: 2.0.1.442
    Win32 Version: 2.0.1.442
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Red%20Gate/ANTS%20Profiler/RedGate.Profiler.UI.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll
    RedGate.Profiler.Engine
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Red%20Gate/ANTS%20Profiler/RedGate.Profiler.Engine.DLL
    RedGate.Licensing.Client
    Assembly Version: 1.2.4.5
    Win32 Version: 1.2.4.5
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Red%20Gate/ANTS%20Profiler/RedGate.Licensing.Client.DLL
    DevExpress.XtraBars
    Assembly Version: 3.1.4.0
    Win32 Version: 3.1.4.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Red%20Gate/ANTS%20Profiler/DevExpress.XtraBars.DLL
    DevExpress.Utils
    Assembly Version: 2.1.4.0
    Win32 Version: 2.1.4.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Red%20Gate/ANTS%20Profiler/DevExpress.Utils.DLL
    DevExpress.XtraTreeList
    Assembly Version: 1.7.4.0
    Win32 Version: 1.7.4.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Red%20Gate/ANTS%20Profiler/DevExpress.XtraTreeList.DLL
    DevExpress.XtraEditors
    Assembly Version: 2.1.4.0
    Win32 Version: 2.1.4.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Red%20Gate/ANTS%20Profiler/DevExpress.XtraEditors.DLL
    System.Data
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.data/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.data.dll
    ActiproSoftware.DockableWindow
    Assembly Version: 2.0.207.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.207.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Red%20Gate/ANTS%20Profiler/ActiproSoftware.DockableWindow.DLL
    ActiproSoftware.TabStripPanel
    Assembly Version: 2.0.207.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.207.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Red%20Gate/ANTS%20Profiler/ActiproSoftware.TabStripPanel.DLL
    System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.xml/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.xml.dll
    RedGate.Licensing.Helper
    Assembly Version: 1.2.4.5
    Win32 Version: 1.2.4.5
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Red%20Gate/ANTS%20Profiler/RedGate.Licensing.Helper.DLL
    DevExpress.XtraGrid
    Assembly Version: 2.4.4.0
    Win32 Version: 2.4.4.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Red%20Gate/ANTS%20Profiler/DevExpress.XtraGrid.DLL
    ActiproSoftware.Wizard
    Assembly Version: 2.0.77.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.77.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Red%20Gate/ANTS%20Profiler/ActiproSoftware.Wizard.DLL
    Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/accessibility/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/accessibility.dll
    System.DirectoryServices
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.directoryservices/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.directoryservices.dll
    System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.runtime.remoting/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.runtime.remoting.dll
    RedGate.Profiler.Transfer
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Red%20Gate/ANTS%20Profiler/RedGate.Profiler.Transfer.DLL
    System.ServiceProcess
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.serviceprocess/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.serviceprocess.dll
    System.Web
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.web/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.web.dll
    SHDocVw
    Assembly Version: 1.1.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Red%20Gate/ANTS%20Profiler/SHDocVw.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
    application or machine (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine
    rather than being handled by this dialog.
    It looks like the ANTS Profiler hasn't loaded the COM component that serves as the back-end data collector.

Have you evaluated any other code profiling tools recently? Sometimes they leave environment registry entries behind that can have a negative impact on ANTS Profiler.
  • No I haven't evaluated any other code profiling products.. but I did evaluate httpZip from Port80 software... http://www.port80software.com/products/ ... id=1899372 I am not sure if that would matter.

Is there any way for me to fix this?

Lori
    I can suggest re-registering the ANTS Profiler component. That may help. Open a command prompt, cd to c:\program files\red gate\ants profiler and type 'regsvr32 redgate.profiler.core2.dll'.

Removing any traces from a previous profiler is a bit difficult, so please give that a try first.
  • Thanks.. it is now profiling but I dont see any useful info from the Memory profile. All it lists as live objects are bytes and strings and it has no refernces to source code. Is that the way it is supposed to be?

I am profiling a web application. I have confirmed that I built it in debug mode.

Lori
    Hi Lori,

All that you're probably going to see as a named object are the objects that were created in your code. Anything done by the Framework is going to be labeled something esoteric like System.Byte[].
  • I’m having the same problem profiling my asp.net application.
    I’m running XP Pro and IIS 5.1
    My aspnet_wp.exe process is running under a user name of ASPNET
    My maching.config looks like this:
    <processModel enable="true" timeout="Infinite" idleTimeout="Infinite" shutdownTimeout="0:00:05"
    requestLimit="Infinite" requestQueueLimit="5000" restartQueueLimit="10" memoryLimit="60"
    webGarden="false" cpuMask="0xffffffff" userName="machine" password="AutoGenerate" logLevel="Errors"
    clientConnectedCheck="0:00:05" comAuthenticationLevel="Connect" comImpersonationLevel="Impersonate"
    responseDeadlockInterval="00:03:00" maxWorkerThreads="20" maxIoThreads="20"/>

The profiler just sits there with the "Waiting for connection" message.
    I did evaluate another profiler and I did run the regsvr32 command but still no luck.

I have loaded the latest VS 2005 beta which also installs the 2.0 framework, not sure if that matters or not.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Ed
    :(
    I believe Tom from Red Gate is going to get in touch with you soon with an offer to try the Beta of Profiler 2.1, which will support .NET Framework 2.0.
  • After many hours of trying I am still not able to get ANTs Profiler 2.0 working for web apps running on my Win2003 IIS 6.0 development system. I found by running IIS in IIS 5.0 Isolation mode I was able to get it to launch my web applications, but no results are shown. When running in standard IIS 6.0 mode, I tried changing the identity of the default application pool from "Network Service" to Local System and Local Service, but neither setting made any difference. I confirmed that both ANTS and the w3wp.exe processes were running under the same identity when I tried this. I tried to change the identity within the machine.config but that did nothing either. The only way I can get ANTs Profiler to run on my system is to roll back to the 1.30 release.
    Hello,

I believe that one of the sevelopers had sent you an advance copy of Profiler 2.1. Is that the one that's still giving your problems?
  • Hi Arf,

I have sent details to your email account of how to download ANTS Profiler 2.1. ANTS Profiler 2.1 provides much more robust ASP.NET profiling and has worked for all our other 2.0 customers who were having problems. I would be most grateful if you could download and try out the new version,

Best regards,

Tom Harris

SW Architect - ANTS Tools

NB please note that 2.1 has not been officially released yet, we are running through final tests.
This discussion has been closed.