packaging scheduled jobs

jbrownjbrown Posts: 20
edited September 24, 2008 8:51AM in SQL Packager Previous Versions
I'm sorry if this has been asked before: is it possible to include in a package several schedule jobs that need to be included with the database?

Comments

• Unfortunately it isn't possible to package scheduled jobs (I assume you mean through SQL Server Agent) - SQL Packager will only package databases in the instance.
    Chris Buckingham
    Red-Gate support
  • Thank you for the reply.

I've noticed in a thread from May '08 the following

Also i would like to append scripted scheduled jobs that are written to the msdb database. Can I achieve this by simply editing the package1.resx file...?
    http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/vi ... light=msdb

Our situation is similar: we must package and deploy user databases along with supporting scheduled jobs to client sites that are locked down and firewalled. So, we are looking for a solution that can enable a client to use a simple executable by which they can create a user database schema, a few lookup tables, database logins, and a small number of enabled scheduled jobs.

It sounds like from the post I've quoted above that this might be possible in SQL Packager, if it's approached cleverly through the API ...?
  • We're very close to releasing a new version of SQL Packager which will allow any script to be loaded to the tool and packaged. This means that you will be able to generate an upgrade script using SQL Packager, save it as a .sql script, edit it as you desire, and package this up as an exe.

Would this satisfy your requirements?

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Yes, I believe that would be very helpful. Thanks very much.
  • I've asked our support department to raise a ticket so you'll be notified when v6.0 has been released. It should be a matter of a few weeks now.

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • I just wanted to let you know that the new version of packager is available from our website.

You can download the update by using the 'check for updates' function within the tool.
    Chris