Removal of add-in menu

This is informational rather than a question.

When upgrading to ANTS 4, I had a problem trying to remove the old ANTS 3 add-in menu. To try to resolve this, I tried removing ANTS 4, rebooting, cleaning out the RedGate ANTS entries in the registry, hunting down VS 2005 settings, etc. etc. etc.

Since I don't know the namespace (probably RedGate) or the start class name of the add-in, the command line devenv /ResetAddin <namespace>.<class> was useless, and the command line devenv /ResetAddin * didn't work either.

I finally solved my problem by losing my VS 2005 environment customizations via the following command line:

devenv /ResetSettings

I then had to set all of my preferences, reinstall ANTS 4, and all was well.

I don't think that this is a problem with ANTS as it has happened to me with other add-ins as well (but if RedGate can figure something out that works consistently, that would rate as way-cool!)

For anyone who read my posts regarding the ANTS 4 Beta:

In running the beta I am forced to conclude that my development environment has been forcibly constrained (thank you ops!) using the organizations Group Policies (don't even ask, it's a nightmare).

I can tell everyone that the final code, for whatever reason, suffers from *NONE* of the issues that I had with the beta and is an awesome upgrade. If you haven't purchased ANTS yet, now is the time. It's well worth the money!!

Sincerely,

- Toolsmith

Comments

• Hi Toolsmith,

Thanks for your kind words. VS can be a bit of pain to work with and removal of menus can be a little tricky.

The easiest way I have found to do this if the installer does not manage it is to right click on the menu bar, choose customize and then drag the offending menu off the menu bar and drop it somewhere else. It then disappears never to reappear again :)

Regards,

James
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • ... but the organizations installation of VS 2005 Team Suite has the ability to customize the menus disabled (or else there's something else going on), because I tried that, too.

I could delete individual items from the sub-menu, but I couldn't remove the main menu items. Quite aggravating.

Lukily (and this is a recommendation for everyone, regardless of how you're set up) I keep a backup copy of my settings for just such occasions. That way I can force the UI to reset all options, then reload my modifications from the backup. It appears to re-validate add-ins when it loads.

- Toolsmith
  • Hi Toolsmith,

Thanks for the tip.

We will pass that on to anyone else who's organization decides that they don't want their developers to customize their menus :)

Regards,

James
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd