Server Application Unavailable

Just downloaded Profiler 4 and tried to start profiling a ASP.NET web application hosted on IIS with the following details:

URL: http://localhost/app.....
Profiling Mode: Line-level
IIS Version: 5
Framework: .NET 2.0

When I try and start profiling any IIS hosted application on my my machine, I get the: "Server Application Unavailable". As soon as I stop profiling, the application become available again.

Comments

• Hi,

it's a little difficult to tell what the problem might be given the non-specific nature of the message.

If you send me the log files it might provide some information to help track down the issue.

You can find them in:

C:\Documents and Settings\ <your name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Red Gate\ANTS Performance Profiler 4you can email them to me, stephen.chambers [at] red-gate.com

Regards,

Stephen
  • Stephen,

Did you get a chance to go thru that log?

-Scott
  • Hi support,

I'm getting the server unavailable response as well. My web system profiled perfectly under v 3.2 of the tool

Windows 2008 x64
    IIS7
    .NET 2.0
    Profile on original port

I've tried using an unused port and .NET 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 options but all fail

Cheers...

Rob
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi guys,

It sounds like the web application may be crashing out. Has anyone got IIS Diagnostics installed? DebugDiag should be able to get some info out of IIS about the crash.
  • I'm afraid the log files didn't reveal any useful information about the problem either so any more information you could provide would be really helpful.

Stephen
  • I've installed the IIS Diag tools but it did not record a hang dump. I did a manual dump if you want that. ( 25 MB in size )

I did notice that a new w3wp process was launched as NT Authority / System. Can I change this as it is not the correct user credentials and might explain my issue.

The existing IIS credentials for the web application under profile uses a specific domain account.

Also, this appears in the application event log

Source : ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
    EventID : 1088
    Level : Error
    Failed to execute request because the App-Domain could not be created. Error: 0x80004005 Unspecified error
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

Sure, you can get ANTS Profiler to start an application pool as a named user. If you change the startup account for the ANTS Performance Profiler 4 service to the user you need to run the application, that should do the trick.