Options

How we measure result on the basis of hit count vs. the time

Hello to you all.....

How we measure result on the basis of hit count vs. the time taken by the application...

Because in first time on my web application the time taken is 1.8 sec for a method and hit count on this method is only 1.
But when i m trying for more and take a snapshot then on same method hit count is more than 20 but time taken is only 2.06 seconds.....
so how can i display this to a slow method beacause on the basis of first assumption the method having a slow code but on second time with hit count more than 20 this methos is quiet fast.....
can you describe me the reason and appropriate result for it.....
Dharmendra Gaur
Software Engineer (Testing)

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Dharmendra,

I think you're seeing the compilation and JIT time in your Profiler results. We know that the first hit on any web page is always greater than subsequent hits because in batch compilation mode (which is the method used when debug=true in your web.config) all web pages are compiled into separate dll files and JITted, adding quite a lot of overhead. You could add the maximum time to the statistics to see the slowest invocation for the method and subtract that (manually) from the total time.

In AP v4, you will be shown the JIT overhead, so this may be more helpful in profiling ASP .NET.
  • Options
    Hi,

its ok to add maximum time but how i can add it manually....
    and how can i get that it is ok with all hitcounts.....
    Dharmendra Gaur
    Software Engineer (Testing)
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Right-clicking the title bar in the "all methods" in the results will show the "field chooser", and you can drag the maximum time column out to the grid from there.