SQL Backup supporting SQL2008 on Windows 2003

ChrisAVWoodChrisAVWood Posts: 361
edited August 12, 2008 9:27AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

I just used the brand new SQL2008 Upgrade Advisor on an SQL2005 SP2 build 3239 SQL Server running on Windows 2003 SP2 and it flagged the SQL Backup extended stored procedures as extended stored procedures that have not been registered using the full path. This implies that after upgrading SQL2005 to SQL2008 the extended stored procedures may not be found. The suggested action is to run sp_dropextendedproc followed by sp_addextendedproc.

Will this be fixed by Redgate or is this something to remember to do?

Thanks

Chris
English DBA living in CANADA

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

With regards to the SQL Server 2008 Upgrade Advisor, the advisor is correct the xp_sqlbackup.dll is not registered using the full path. This was due to problems encountered in a previous version of SQL Backup having problems registering xp_sqlbackup.dll using the full path. So the decision was taken not to register using the full path.

So you have two choices:

I recommend, that you uninstall the SQL Backup Server components (Control Panel ->Add/remove Programs -> SQL Backup 5(server components) ), upgrade SQL Server, reinstall SQL Backup server components.
    Please Note, do not need to uninstall the SQL Backup GUI.

Or you can ignore the warning generated by the Upgrade Advisor and upgrade without uninstalling SQL Backup server components.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Thanks Eddie.

I would hope that Red Gate would register using the full path name in a future release and possibly provide a script to uninstall/re-install the server components for those clients upgrading from SQL2005 to SQL2008 in place.

If using the full path becomes a ncessity in SQL2008 then having the tools available from Red Gate will save a lot of misery for your clients and reduce support calls.

Chris
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your reply.

I have submitted a bug report, to highlight the issue to our development team and for them to consider using the Full Name Path in future releases of SQL Backup.

The Bug Report reference number is SB-3550.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • That's good news Eddie.

Chris