General Network Error

StephanieStephanie Posts: 10
edited April 14, 2005 1:26PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I've been running compares against databases on server D1 all day. Suddenly it quit working. On the main screen, I type in the server name and as soon as I hit the down arrow to select the database name, I get a pop-up box that says

"General Network Error. Check your network documentation".

Nothing had been installed on my desktop and if I go to another desktop, the compare works. I tried to re-install compare, but am still getting the problem.

I saw other posts that said to try defining an alias and be sure to use TCP/IP as protocol. I tried that and it did not work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Hi Stephanie

Occasionally windows will default to a different connection library. To force the connection to use IP there are two methods.
    The first is to type the following in to the server field "tcp:hostname,port" where hostname is the server name, and port is the TCP port used by SQL Server (default is 1433).
    The second is to use the SQL Server Client Network Utility and create an alias for the server that will for it to use the IP network library.

However it may be that there is a different error that is causing your problem that is related to the operating system. If the suggestions above fail please contact us (suppoert@red-gate.com) for additional assistance to solve the problem.

Regards
    Dan
    Daniel Handley
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Thanks

Option 1 did not work

I defined an alias via client utility. I verified the alias was set up correctly by connecting to Query Analyzer using the alias. I still get the same error in SQL Compare using the new alias.
  • That’s great

If you have any more problems please get in touch again.

regards
    Dan
    Daniel Handley
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • I think you mis-read my post. I still have the problem - even using the alias.
  • Hi Stephanie

I have done some more research on your problem, and it seems that there can be an intermittent problem with using ado .net.

There has been a fix for the problem. Here is a link from the Microsoft site that you can use to down load the patch.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;823679

Let me know how you get on.

Regards
    Dan
    Daniel Handley
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Thanks, I'll give that a look. It may take a while though since we're rather limited on what we can download and install on our desktops.

Stephanie
  • I resolved my problem by installing a newer version of the SQL Bundle.
This discussion has been closed.