Unable to connect to remote database via IP\INSTANCE

jdraggijdraggi Posts: 8
Unable to connect to remote database via IP, SQL Data Compare 6 worked fine however the IP\INSTANCE when SQL auth does not work.

I even tried copying the Data Compare 6 project to the Data Compare 7 project folder ... same results.

Let me know if you want me to try/do anything.

Thanks,
John

Comments

• Check that 'Local and Remote connections' option is set ON within SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration on the remote database please.
    Chris Buckingham
    Red-Gate support
  • Michelle TMichelle T Posts: 566 Gold 1
    1) Does Data Compare 6 still succesfully connect?

2) What kind of remote connection protocol have you got enabled on the remote server (TCP, named pipes, both?)
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • chris.buckingham, this would normally be an issue however version 6 connects fine.

Michelle Taylor,

Yes, Data Compare 6 works fine.
    Protocols are named pipes and TCP on the remote SQL 2005 instance.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

Although connection problems to SQL Server are pretty common, the causes are varied. I'd say that if you could connect using Windows Authentication but not SQL, the difference may be that .NET is choosing a named pipes connection rather than a TCP, because Windows Authentication defaults to the named pipes network library if I recall.

So you may want to try to force the protocol by including it in the server name box, for instance:
    np:172.16.0.11\INSTANCE /* named pipes */
    tcp:172.16.0.11\INSTANCE /* TCP */

I feel that your TCP network library may be broken, either on the server or the client.
  • Thanks for the suggestion... that did not work however it made me think about the problem a bit more.

I am running windows vista business and the windows firewall is very subjective.

To fix this problem I had to go to the control panel, security center, windows firewall, "Allow a program through windows Firewall", "add program", browse for "C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Data Compare 7\RedGate.SQLDataCompare.UI.exe", make sure that it now has a 'check mark' next to it to be allowed, click 'ok' to save and... done.

Everything is now connecting in Data Compare 7.

Thanks,
    John