Source Control Integration

StarPilotStarPilot Posts: 7 Bronze 2
edited October 14, 2008 5:40AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I thought I read on the site that you now offer Source COntrol Integration. Is this true? If so, what does it take to setup? Will it work with TFS?
Keith Barrows
ASPInsider

Comments

• Hi,

Yes, through SQL Changeset, SQL Compare has integration with any SCCI compatible source control system. We have explicity tested SQL Changeset with Visual Source Safe and Team Foundation Server. This Help page should point you in the right direction:

http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/Content.aspx?p=SQL%20Compare&c=SQL_Compare/help/7.0/scs_usingsqlchangeset.htm&toc=SQL_Compare/help/7.0/toc356457.htm

Please let me know if you have any difficulties with this.

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • I have installed a trial version and wanted to test out the Source Safe 6.0 integration.

First it showed me that I have Source Safe installed but it's not supported. I thought because of the 6.0c version and you support only 6.0d. So I installed the update to 6.0d but when now starting SQL Changeset it says I've got no SCCI-compliant source-control application.

Any idea how to test it?!

Greetings,
    Andreas
  • Hi Andreas,

SQL Changeset looks at the below registry key to verify that whether you have any SCCI compliant source-control installed or not.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SourceCodeControlProvider\InstalledSCCProviders.

Can you please verify on your machine that whether 'Microsoft Visual SourceSafe' is listed under this registry key or not?

This will help us to track down the problem.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Hi Priya,

the key was missing. I've reinstalled Sourcesafe 6.0 then updating to 6.0d (Build 31222). The correct registry key is there now, but SQL Changeset now says me:

SQL Changeset
    The source control plug-in 'Microsoft Visual SourceSafe' is not recognised by Red Gate SQL Changeset, and its use is thus unsupported.

I'm using Windows 2000 SP4.

Andreas
  • Hi Andreas,

That's really good!

The present released version of SQL Changeset is very sensitive towards version checks for SCCI Compliant Source Control. We support Visual Source Safe 6.0d but SQL Changeset wrongly shows 'unsupported' message for most of the builds of VSS 6.0d except few.

We will be fixing this wrong error message in the next release but for the time being you can ignore the warning and start testing.

Do let us know if you have any difficulties.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Hi Priya,

thanks for your help. I will try it out then.

But let me add, that the patch I used to update to version 6.0d (build 31222) is the newest available patch I found and it's already some years old.

Cheers,
    Andreas
  • The current SQL Compare help pages state that:

The following source control systems are supported:
    Microsoft® Visual SourceSafe® versions 6.0d and 2005
    Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2005 Team Foundation Server SP1

Is the latest version of SQL ChangeSet compatible with Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2008 Team Foundation Server?

Regards

Myles Johnson[/b]
  • Our intention is to support the latest versions of VSS and TFS so please let us know if it doesn't work as expected and we'll take measures to resolve any problems.

We are aware of 'oversensitive' version checking in the current version of SQL Changeset, which means it claims that certain versions are unsupported. However, if this message is disregarded, it should work as expected.

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • We have TFS 2005, but the pending changeset only shows options to create working folders for VSS and VSS (Internet). I tried entering TFS for the url with the Internet version of VSS, but it wouldn't accept a local path for my working folder.
  • Do you have the MSSCCI provider for Team Foundation Server installed? (It's the first two links on Google for 'MSSCCI' for me.) Without the provider, Changeset won't be able to see TFS.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software