Ants Profiler 3 Service failed to start

The Ants Profiler Service failed to start on our machine. The service already uses a user in the administrator group. The error in the iisprofilehostlog is:

Exception trying to open channel: Configuration system failed to initialize

I ran a netstat on the machine and 8084 and 8086 is available.

The machine is Windows Server 2003 (64-bit). The event log shows:
Event ID: 5000
Source: .Net 2.0 Runtime Error
Description:
Event clr20r3 ...redgate.profiler.iisprofilehost...

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

Sorry, I've never seen this error before. According to Microsoft, it can happen when you have a corrupt config file, for instance RedGate.Profiler.IISProfileHost.exe.config.

The mystery, however, is that this file is not shipped with ANTS Profiler. Has someone attempted to configure the runtime environment for the ANTS Profiler 3 service by creating this file?
  • Hi,

Sorry, I've never seen this error before. According to Microsoft, it can happen when you have a corrupt config file, for instance RedGate.Profiler.IISProfileHost.exe.config.

The mystery, however, is that this file is not shipped with ANTS Profiler. Has someone attempted to configure the runtime environment for the ANTS Profiler 3 service by creating this file?

Hi Brian,
    Nope we didnt create a config file. It's really weird. We manage to make it start successfully on an x86 machine but when we tried to install it on a 64-bit machine that's when the services failed on start. Can we use the same installer for x86 machine in 64-bit servers? Or is there aa different installer?
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

I think you may also get this error is the .NET installation's machine.config file is corrupt. There is a configuration section in that file that configures remoting, and that is probably missing or incorrectly formatted.