Variable name highlighting

sam88jeepsam88jeep Posts: 13
edited September 2, 2008 2:26PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Has anyone had a problem with version 3.9 of SQL Prompt altering the "double-click" highlighting behavior on variable and temp tables names?

It causing me grief because now the "@ sign or #" sign isn't highlighted when you double-click the variable name.

Any help is appreciated!

Sam

Comments

• shadowbobshadowbob Posts: 71 Bronze 2
    I also see this. This is a critical issue which will cause me to revert to v3.8.
    Jeremy Fuller
    VP, Software Development
    Organizational Intelligence, Inc.
  • Red-Gate sent me the following link to patch:
    ftp://support.red-gate.com/Patches/SQL_Prompt/SQL Prompt 3.8.2.000402.zip

Good luck!
    :D
    That appears to be an older version. Is that intentional? I'll install it anyway. Thanks!

Edit: I had to uninstall Prompt to install this version. However, it did not solve the problem. Double-click selections are still not working correctly. I'll attempt to roll back to an even earlier build.

Edit 2: Trying to rollback to an earlier build of 3.8 causes the add-in to stop working completely. Uninstalling/reinstalling/repairing doesn't help. The only solution is to go to build 402 or later. So now I'm locked into this terrible double-click selection behavior. Red Gate, can anyone speak up about this?
    Jeremy Fuller
    VP, Software Development
  • Yeah, I just realized it was a downgrade patch, which is fine, but it doesn't work for me either.

I did find a workaround. Pull up a query window, disable SQL prompt, open ANOTHER window... that new window will work because SQL prompt is disabled. Then REENABLE SQL Prompt. That window will still behave correctly.

Not pretty but its something :)

Sam
    Nice workaround. I'm about to edit a 2000 line procedure, so I'll probably need to use it. Thanks!
    Jeremy Fuller
    VP, Software Development
    Hmm, now object definition hints aren't working. With or without the "workaround" above. This is turning out to be a bad day for Prompt. Are they working for you? (It's the "hyperlink" when you hover over a name.)
    Jeremy Fuller
    VP, Software Development
  • Hello,

Before you decide to shoot me, I can give you a suggestion that might resolve the downgrade issue for you.
    Have you tried to completely uninstall the product, remove the menu items from your editor after uninstall (SSMS-Tools-Choose Menubar and click Reset) and then try to install the v3.8.402 build? Ensure you remove the menubar items in all the editors you use SQL Prompt on before you install v3.8.
    The above should ideally get the product to work and hopefully make your world look better.

The workaround suggested by Sam (Disable SQL Prompt before you start SSMS or disable and open a new query window should help although it is not a great fix) should work as well.
    Thanks for bringing this issue to our notice and our sincere apologies for the trouble caused. We will certainly fix this issue in our next release.
    Excuse for the inconvenience caused.

• Note: Downgrade is not officially supported by RG for various reasons but I suppose for this particular scenario you should be fine. However I would suggest taking a backup of your options and snippets file prior to upgrading. Generally they are stored in “C:\Documents and settings\{Your username}\Local Settings\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 3”.

I hope that helps

Thanks,
    Tanya
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    Tanya,

Thanks for the tip on how to downgrade. Just a couple notes on what you said:
    • The menu path to reset the menu is not exactly what you listed. It is actually: Tools | Customize... | Select "Menubar" | Click Reset...
    • A lot of customers are probably using Windows Vista these days. Under that operating system, SQL Prompt saves it's files in the location: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 3. You may want to adjust your copy/paste script there to include both locations.
    According to SQL Prompt | About SQL Prompt, I'm now running version 3.8.2.402. However, both of my issues still remain: double-click selections don't work correctly, and object definition hints don't function at all, even though they are turned on. The workaround above solves the double-click issue but not the hint issue.

Thanks for your help, and I hope you guys get fixes out for this ASAP! It's amazing how much your life starts to depend on these tools -- when they go bad, it really screws up your day!
    Jeremy Fuller
    VP, Software Development
    Oops! Sorry for the false alarm. It seems that object hints are indeed working. I was hovering over a TRUNCATE TABLE statement and wasn't getting any hints. I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to get any hints there.
    Jeremy Fuller
    VP, Software Development
  • Hi,

OMG sorry face again :(

I should have noticed the build no. before giving all that downgrade tips!

Actually the 'double click' issue was a side-effect that was caused while handling an interference issue in SQL 2008 RC client query window and as SQL Prompt v3.8.2 was a patch release to support SQL 2008 RC users, it explains the reason for the 'double-click' issue being present in build 3.8.2.402 as well.

I can give you the v3.8 release build but it would not include SQL 2008 RC support. If you are happy with that, let me know and I will send you the v3.8 release build.

Thanks,
    Tanya
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    Tanya,

Don't you love regression issues?

A link to 3.8 would be great. I'm not using SQL 2008 yet. Could you ask the developers to put a note in the changelog for their next release to specifically mention if this issue was fixed? That way I don't upgrade again and break everything. Thanks!
    Jeremy Fuller
    VP, Software Development
  • Hi,

Honestly speaking – it makes us bang our heads against the wall when such issues slip through!!!

I will definitely make a note to include this in our release notes and will drop you a note with v3.8 release build soon.

Thanks,
    Tanya
  • This has been a real nuisance for me as well. Do you have any idea of when it will be fixed? Thanks.
  • I'm living the SQL Server 2008 RC0 world where there is no version of SQL Prompt where the "Double-Click" works. If you think there's going to be an update in the next couple weeks, then don't worry about publishing a regression option on my behalf.

Thanks again for taking the problem so seriously. You'd be amazed how often you double-click! :)

Sam
  • tanya wrote:
    Hi,

OMG sorry face again :(

I should have noticed the build no. before giving all that downgrade tips!

Actually the 'double click' issue was a side-effect that was caused while handling an interference issue in SQL 2008 RC client query window and as SQL Prompt v3.8.2 was a patch release to support SQL 2008 RC users, it explains the reason for the 'double-click' issue being present in build 3.8.2.402 as well.

I can give you the v3.8 release build but it would not include SQL 2008 RC support. If you are happy with that, let me know and I will send you the v3.8 release build.

Thanks,
    Tanya
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd

Hi Tanya,

since I have installed SQLPrompt 3.9 I have the same problem :cry: . Can you provide me with a working 3.8 ? I'm not using SQL 2008.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Thorsten
    Regards,

Thorsten
  • Hi,

Ok...that's quite a lot of noise which has indeed worked for the best :)
    The good news is we have a build that fixes this issue in both 2005 and 2008 editors. Please email support@red-gate.com if you need the fix for the variable highlighting issue.

Thank you very much for all your patience.

Regards,
    Tanya
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • didn't realize this was a bug
    but I just email'ed support to get a fix, hope I get it soon

Thanks for the other thread bringing this up
    Jerry Hung
    DBA, MCITP