Slow feedback when working with files on remote shares

alekdavisalekdavis Posts: 6
edited July 15, 2008 1:52PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
I don't know if anyone has already reported this, but I noticed a minor anomaly today. I was editing a SQL Script in Management Studio (2005) and, with SQLPrompt enabled, the editor was really slow. It took 3-4 seconds for a character to appear on the screen after I typed it. If I type fast, I do not see anything appearing on the screen until I pause a bit and then all characters would just appear in a batch. If I disable SQLPrompt, the problem goes away. I tried it a few times and results were consistent. Now, the caveat here is that the problem only occurs if I edit a file located on a remote share, which I open using a UNC name (e.g. \\server\share\script.sql). If I copy the file locally (e.g. to my desktop), I do not see this problem. Is this a known issue?

Comments

• Hello,

First apologies for the issue you are facing with the slow connection on remote servers.
    There is a problem that we have identified on this area and we do not have a fix for the problem as yet.
    http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/vi ... php?t=7141 has more information about this issue.
    We are reviewing this problem and I will update you when we have a fix.

Thanks,
    Tanya
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd