Need to modify tables - can this product do this?

BillyDvdBillyDvd Posts: 2 Bronze 2
edited June 30, 2008 12:47PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I have a db, that I need to modify some of the PKs from int to varchar...
(Please dont ask why :? ) :)
Anyway, can this or another redgate product help in this process of changing the field types and updating all relationship ect.. ???

Any help/pointers/handholding would be immensly apprieciated :D

Thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• Thanks for your post.

When you use SQL Compare 6 to synchronise two database schemas, in essence it will modify database B to be exactly the same as database A (depending on options set). If you alter the primary key of a table in database A, then when you synchronise the database, by default it will implement the change on the secondary database.

Any changes you make to the source database will be reflected in the change script for the target database.

If you are more concerned that manually changing the column data type through SQL could leave inconsistent definitions in views, stored procedures, functions etc, then you do not need to worry as the column data type is only defined in the CREATE table statement for the object. Therefore the table definition is the only place you need to change it. You may wish to use SQL Dependency Tracker to investigate if any variables in a dependent function or stored procedure conflict with the new data type, however making any changes would be a manual process.

I hope this is helpful.

Let me know if you need any more information.
    Chris