Problems Backing up a 2TB+ Database

ScottOScottO Posts: 7
edited June 16, 2008 12:30PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Ok, I've been on the phone a few times with support, still looking for answers.

We had red-gate sqlback up 5.2, we were able to backup a 1.8 TB DB with no problem but over the past couple months we have grown to 2.8 TB's and Red-Gate has been timing out.

I placed a call due to the problem we are not able to backup, I was told to upgrade to 5.3 it would address the VLDB issue..

Has anyone successfully backed up and restored a DB larger then 2TB's? we are now pushing to 3TB.

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    What is the error that you are experiencing?

Is this link (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934396) applicable to you?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi

Being that you have already reported this problem to us in Product Support, what is your call reference number?

I will then be able to read up on the call history.

Many Thanks
    Eddie

Eddie Davis
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    Product Support Engineer
    e-mail: support@red-gate.com
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • petey wrote:
    What is the error that you are experiencing?

Is this link (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934396) applicable to you?
    here is one of the errors trying to restore:
    BackupIoRequest::WaitForIoCompletion: read failure on backup device 'SQLBACKUP_F3B72B14-9EF6-4C08-81AD-935ECDA81F37'. Operating system error 995(The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.)
    Sorry that you have encountered this problem.

Hi

I have created a new support call for you. The call reference is F0013118.

Looking at your reply to the forum post, I suspect that this issue maybe network related problem, are you attempting to restore a backup file from a network share?

Also SQL backup creates a log file for each backup / restore task or job it runs. Can you please locate the log file for the failed restore and attach it to a reply to this e-mail. The default location for the log file on the server performing the restore is C:\Documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\(LOCAL) or SQL Instance NameThe labeling of the files makes it differcult to locate but if you order the files by date/time you will be able to locate the file.

Hopefully the SQL Backup Log file will provide further information.

Many Thanks
    Eddie

Eddie Davis
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    Product Support Engineer
    E-Mail: support@red-gate.com
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • Here is a run down of our set up,

Cluster
    DB1
    DB2

The backup drives that are on each server are a raid 5 config, on a SAN shown within Cluster admin as a SQL resource.

O/S Windows 2003 Server sp2 32bit1
    16GB of ram
    SQL Server Enterprise Edition 32 bit SQL is on SP2
    Thank you for your reply.

I still would like to see a SQL Backup Log File for the failed restore. Hopefully the SQL Backup Log file will provide further information.

SQL backup creates a log file for each backup / restore task or job it runs. Can you please locate the SQL Backup log file for the failed restore and attach it to an e-mail.

As this is a cluster configuration, the location for the SQL Backup log file on the server performing the restore is specified in this registry key:

HKEYLocalMachine/Software/Red Gate/SQL Backup/BackupSettingsGlobal/<SQL InstanceName>/

Locate the DataPath key, the path for the SQL Backup Log File Folder is recorded here.

The labeling of the files makes it differcult to locate but if you order the files by date/time you will be able to locate the file.

A support case has been opened for this call, the reference number for this call is F0013118.

Please send a copy of the SQL Backup Log File for the failed restore to support@red-gate.com and place your call reference as the subject of the e-mail.

Many Thanks
    Eddie

Eddie Davis
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    Product Support Engineer
    e-mail: support@red-gate.com
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd