Options

Backups from previous versions of Redgate

ChrisAVWoodChrisAVWood Posts: 361
edited June 9, 2008 5:25PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

I have been asked about being able to recover long term backups. We are using SQLBackup 5.2 and 5.3. If we take a backup using one of these versions of an SQL2005 database will I be able to restore it to say SQL2008 and with say SQLBackup 6.1 or 7.0?

From what I understand about SQLBackup being able to restore an SQL2005 backup to SQL2008 should not be a problem but what about using different versions of SQLBackup taking the backup and doing the restore?

Thanks

Chris
English DBA living in CANADA

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Up to version 5, we have always maintained backward compatibility with every major version of SQL Backup since version 3 (that was the first release anyway).

I cannot say for sure if this will be the case going forward, but if it turns out otherwise, you have the following options:

- use the corresponding version of the command line interface to perform the restore, since that does not depend on the SQL Backup Agent service

- use the conversion utilities (sqb2mtf, sqb2mtfGUI) to convert the files to native SQL Server backup files, and restore using SQL Server
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    Just what I wanted to know Petey.

Thanks

Chris
    English DBA living in CANADA