SQL Packager and Inno Setup

dm4714dm4714 Posts: 28
edited March 24, 2005 11:37AM in SQL Packager Previous Versions
Hello --

I'm reviewing purchasing SQL Packager to be used as a database upgrade utility for my application. The SQL Packager allows me to create an .EXE file with all the schema and/or data changes between each version of my database. I'm curious to know if anyone else uses this program along with Inno to update their databases.

What is the best way to accomlish this?

I would assume I could launch the normal Inno setup to install/upgrade my application. At the conclusion, execute the SQL upgrade .EXE?

Should I have a MsgBox prompt for whether to launch the upgrade? If so, how would I accomplish this? I'm using Inno 4.x.

I'm also curious to know how others have approached the update database delimma within their installers.

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

Thanks for asking. If Inno is an authoring tool for Windows Installer (.msi) files, then you can include database packages by setting a custom action to run an executable file.

You can get the package to run quietly by using the /quiet switch, otherwise the package will display its' own GUI, which may or may not be to your liking. You may want to collect the information about the name of the database that you want to create or upgrade when your installation runs, then feed that information to the Package command line instead of using the package's GUI.
This discussion has been closed.