Options

Feature Suggestion

zaczac Posts: 8
edited June 6, 2008 3:47AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Hi,

I'm using you latest version of sql prompt and it's working really well for us.

Just a suggestion and i dont know if it's possible.

When you hover over a stored procedure name in a stored procedure ie
EXEC myStoredProc

you get a pop up window appear with the code of that stored proc inside. What we would find really useful is if we could have a link 'Goto Definition' exactly the same as VS does when you right click over a procedure name.

Perhaps it could fire up a new query window and open the clicked on stored proc ready to edit.

May not be possible as there's obviously some tight integration with management studio to get this to work, but was just wondering.

Regards

Zac.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Zac,

I am glad you liked the product.
    Actually this was a feature that many of us were thinking about while working on v3.8 but given that we didn’t really do any user researches or ground work for this task we decided not to pursue it any further for v3.8.
    But it’s a really cool suggestion and now that you have requested this feature we will log it in our database and probably get it done for our future versions.

Thank you for taking the time to send us your suggestion.

Regards,
    Tanya
  • Options
    A very nice feature request! One would save a lot of time with that feature. Maybe it also could check if the stored procedure already is opened and if so go to that window instead of opening a new one..

I have another feature request concerning some of the same issue. I think it would be nice if the information stored in MS Description field for objects was shown here (like you do when hovering over a table-name).

We are using SQL Doc to generate databasedocumentation and have developed a small webapplication to enter structured information into this field.

If you could display this information when hovering over objects it would be great. That way our developers has the database-documentation right at hand when they are developing stored procedures etc..

Best regards
    Thomas
  • Options
    I have another feature request concerning some of the same issue. I think it would be nice if the information stored in MS Description field for objects was shown here (like you do when hovering over a table-name).

We are using SQL Doc to generate databasedocumentation and have developed a small webapplication to enter structured information into this field.

If you could display this information when hovering over objects it would be great. That way our developers has the database-documentation right at hand when they are developing stored procedures etc..

Best regards
    Thomas

MS descriptions for stored procs was supposed to be done for v3.8 but we slipped adding them for the release. We will get this sorted in our next version.

Thank you for your suggestions. We will keep you posted with the updates.

Regards,
    Tanya
  • Options
    Is this a feature request thread? I have a few...

:arrow: I like to write joins in the following way:
    FROM <table1>
    INNER JOIN <table2>
    ON <table2>.<column> = <table1.column>

SQL Prompt only suggests "ON <table1>.<column> = <table2.column>"
    Maybe you could add a join order preference?

:arrow: SQL Prompt doesn't look "up" more than one table

table1 has 2 foreign keys, to table2 and table3

SQL Prompt:
    FROM <table1>
    INNER JOIN <table2>
    ON <table1>.<column> = <table2.column> --grr... see previous suggestion
    INNER JOIN <table3>
    ON ... Now it tries to find a matching column in table2, but *only* in table2, even though a real relationship exists with table1.
  • Options
    Both these ideas sound good.

The 'automatic join' feature is currently very frustrating in that it only tries against the previous object.