Backupset showing backup type

gsc_ghxgsc_ghx Posts: 73
edited May 13, 2008 3:23AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I want to use backupset to determine when the last FULL backup was taken. My log backup job currently looks at backupset and if the backuptype is not D, the log does not initialize the log backup. Therefore our log backups are growing and we are using more space than needed. My backup_full job uses Redgate Sql Backup (4.1 to 5.1) as we use the compression attribute. We do not use Redgate Sql Backup for log backup - instead use native SQL to do that.

How do I know if a db has had a full backup? My backupset table just shows log backups. Does Redgate Sql Backup log to the backupset table? If not - where can i get this information?

Thanks
Geri

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Backups and restores performed by SQL Backup will be recorded in the backupset/restorehistory tables. Running something like this:
    EXEC master..sqlbackup '-sql "BACKUP DATABASE model TO DISK = [c:\<AUTO>]" '

should generate an entry in the backupset table.

Perhaps you have deleted the backup history, using the msdb..deletebackuphistory stored procedure, or using the SQL Backup history deletion function.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8