Options

Can't profile COM+ applications

Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
Hello Ofer,

I can say for sure it's nothing to do with the versions of the Framework that you've got installed. This only affects the profiling of ASP .NET web applications on machines with 1.0 and 1.1 installed and it has to do with the path to aspnet_wp/w3wp.exe.

The error message indicates that Profiler didn't intercept any managed code from the Common Language Runtime. Either the application didn't run any code, or there could have been a problem sending the results.

Can you confirm that your serviced component is compiled as managed code? If that's the case, I can send instructions on how to enable tracing information to be logged by profiler to see if there was a problem getting the results.

Also, please check your application logs for any Profiler error messages.

Comments

• Options
    Hello Ofer,

Your COM+ application should be hosted by dllhost.exe. If you got this error, it probably indicates that the instance of dllhost.exe that Profiler had started didn't run any code in the runtime.

Specifically, we're looking for an error message in the application log that says 'failed to co-create profiler'.

Another thing to check is that dllhost.exe is running. Try starting a Profiler session, then go into Task Manager and look for dllhost.exe. ANTS Profiler looks for this process case-sensitively, so if the process is called 'DllHost.exe', ANTS Profiler may not be profiling it.
  • Options
    Hello Ofer,

Thanks a lot for letting us know that you've found the problem. We'll fix this in the next release if it's possible, and if not, we'll update the documentation. I have a strange feeling that the COM+ application being profiled has to run under the currently logged-in user's security context.