Options

What permissions are needed for the SQLBackup Agent account?

drhotendrhoten Posts: 21
edited April 30, 2008 5:10AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I have been trying to change the account that SQL Backup Agent is running under so I can backup to a shared network folder, and have had nothing but problems trying to do so.

I tried using one account for both the service and SQL by following the documentation for the SQL Backup security model, but ran into a number of issues. I ended up creating a new domain account with the log on a services option along with a separate SQL Account for the agent service to use following the documentation, but unless the service account has administrative privileges SQL Backup does not run.

If running under a non-administrative account I receive a VDI error 1030, but I did confirm that sqlvdi.dll exists on my server and is registered. So it does appear to be an access issue.

What permissions does the service account need since the documentation does not appear to be sufficient?

Do both the service account and SQL Account need to be a member of the SDQL Server sysadmin fixed server role?

Thanks.

Doug

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

Since so many SQL Servers employ 'locked-down' configurations, it makes it difficult to document every single user right and file location needed by SQL Backup. We keep a living document on the Knowledge Base listing all of the registry entries, file locations, server roles, and policies that we've come across so far.

I hope this points you to the problem area.
  • Options
    I completely missed that KB article, thanks. I will report back if I find that it's any different.

Doug
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Please do -- most of the information in there is based on past experience with customers. Thanks!